Issue installing K&N CAI on 04 Bird

Dyler Turden

Dyler Turden

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
04 TBird 57k miles

Hello all!
I’m new to the forum and a 3 week old owner of an 04 retrobird. I’d like to say I appreciate the wealth of info that I’ve gained So far from the existing threads.

As suggested in performance upgrade threads, I decided to start with the CAI kit. Was watching it on prime and it dropped down to $305+tax and I jumped on it.

Installation was smooth until needing to connect the large vent tube to the large metal nipple on the side of the new metal intake tube. The instructions have a photo for each step, and clearly show connecting the factory large vent tube to the metal nipple on the intake. No matter how hard I push, or what angle I attempt to come at it from, the factory vent tube will not slide inside the appropriate part on the intake tube. When attempting to attach the vent tube to the stock breather tube, it connects with a click with zero resistance. Nice and smooth. And honestly the k&n intake tube’s nipple doesn’t seem well made to mesh with that type of click on hose. 189D6595-1963-4904-98CC-FC980A5EAC34.jpeg A78601FB-8DB5-44A7-89B7-E7A0F2DEE562.jpeg Has anyone else had this issue? Anyone have a tip or trick to overcome this?

I broke down and bought a length of 25mm heater hose and some hose clamps, but have been unable to find an appropriate sized elbow to make the turn on the other end. But honestly, it’ll look like crap, and I’d prefer to use the stock part.

Thank you to any who have any insight.

Attachments

• AF1F6E8A-15E9-499B-B021-70C386B3DE34.jpeg
    AF1F6E8A-15E9-499B-B021-70C386B3DE34.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

04 TBird 57k miles

Hello all!
I’m new to the forum and a 3 week old owner of an 04 retrobird. I’d like to say I appreciate the wealth of info that I’ve gained So far from the existing threads.

As suggested in performance upgrade threads, I decided to start with the CAI kit. Was watching it on prime and it dropped down to $305+tax and I jumped on it.

Installation was smooth until needing to connect the large vent tube to the large metal nipple on the side of the new metal intake tube. The instructions have a photo for each step, and clearly show connecting the factory large vent tube to the metal nipple on the intake. No matter how hard I push, or what angle I attempt to come at it from, the factory vent tube will not slide inside the appropriate part on the intake tube. When attempting to attach the vent tube to the stock breather tube, it connects with a click with zero resistance. Nice and smooth. And honestly the k&n intake tube’s nipple doesn’t seem well made to mesh with that type of click on hose. View attachment 4132 View attachment 4133 Has anyone else had this issue? Anyone have a tip or trick to overcome this?

I broke down and bought a length of 25mm heater hose and some hose clamps, but have been unable to find an appropriate sized elbow to make the turn on the other end. But honestly, it’ll look like crap, and I’d prefer to use the stock part.

Thank you to any who have any insight.
Has the same issue when I out the typhoon Cold air intake the hose in question is a very tight fit, I actually had to take a knife or a razor blade wil work and shave just a very small amount and use some type of lubricant and push in as hard as you can and then push harder it will pop in, ive installed two so far on 03 models, one went on easier than the other, good luck just try a little harder when pushing in on it will go in then you can lock in the plastic piece that goes over it. Hope this helps.

I didn't have this issue on this particular part, but have had similar issues in the past. I've had good luck heating the hose up with a heat gun, then sliding it right on. Make sure to direct the heat into the opening of the hose and wear gloves!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone!

Starting to upgrade my T-Bird’s performance, and I’ve running to an issue within installing the cold air intake from K&N. The crank case vent tube, the larger of the two intake tubes, will not fit in the new intake tube (lots of tube talk). I tried shaving it down with a razor and it still gets stuck on the O-ring. Any tips? Or perhaps a source to buy a tube that fits better?

Both K&N's composite and chrome units have hose fittings that are quite the task to shove hoses on. I used 5/8 oil/fuel line leaving the valve cover side factory elbow with the twist collar but cut its neck down and glued in a normal, 5/8 hose barb fitting. The factory corrugated hose elbow was stupid large in diameter requiring nearly a 1/4-inch stretch from 5/8 hose.

I found Gates brand hose forgiving to stretch the over the K&N intake stubs. Other hose brands, even with heat, were a bear to stretch and slip on. I also modified my composite breather stub by cutting the molded, lip off. The hose pressed on very tight where with the lip, applying heat and crazy pressure - it was miserable. Thinking the metal flavor has no lips just straight tubes.

Here's the factory connectors with their barbs cut off and normal 5/8 barb fittings inserted. Use Locktite Plastic Weld that comes with primer to bond them. The silver canister next to the fender is a catch-can collecting crankcase oil vapor pre-intake. The PCV hose goes through the separator can in series. K&N have clear instructions, but the PCV connection is nutty for a basic human. Cheers to those who just heat 'em and stuff 'em on. Hands of Steel you have!

1659847791537.png

1659847448484.png

Back