Interchangeable hardtops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lon, So much for my local Ford dealer. I asked about this and the Ford computer said that the 03 would not fit the 02. That's why I made the statement. I would like to know if anybody made the investment of $500 to see if it works.

03 tonneau fit on 03?

Don't know if TBird will leave this here or not, but here is the answer about the tonneau cover.

Kens Thunder
TBF Newbie

Yes the 03 soft boot fits the 02. I removed hard top this weekend and installed the new boot. Or as Ford calls it a Hood. Does not look
any better but can be folded for travel.

Ken

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

just would like to clarifiy ........the 03 hard top does fit the 02 ......i have an 03 top on an 02. i had a defective top and i went to wixom instead of them shippin my dealer the top and they replace the top with an 03 .....yes there is a little difference the post on the back are a darker color and the top has a modification in it that if you didnt know what you were lookin for you wouldnt know it exist. helps the water drain better ....i took it to the factory at the time because they knew more then anyone how the top was to fit.......

now for the hood or some might call the boot, the 03 boot does fit the 02 without any trouble at all. and vice versa, if one shops around they can be bought for little under 400.00 . sure nicer to store in the trunk

\

Anyone know if the 2002 and 2003 hardtops are interchangeable?

I would guess that any competent local paint and body shop would re-spray into the color you seek for not many $.

My problem is with the USELESS and UGLY “port hole” window! Turn your head left and you cannot see anything. Turn your head right to try to see through the blind spot and your view is BLOCKED by the passenger headrest!

While at the body shop for that paint job, have them scab and smooth over that eyesore “port.”
My dad’s ‘55 had no such useless hole, and it darn well looked better for it!

Wow. Seriously? IMHO the porthole window on the hardtop is one of the most important/significant design elements on the car. (I was impressed that they actually spent the time, money & engineering effort to include it in the hardtop.) Functionally, I use it every morning when I back out of my driveway.

The iconic Porthole on the hardtop is probably the greatest identifier to the Thunderbird. The porthole is part of the Retro T-Bird's heritage, along with the big round tail lights, round headlights, egg create grill & the Thunderbird script on the corners of the rear fenders.

If the headrest of the passenger seat is in your way why not have the passenger seat moved forward some.

All hard tops no matter which year they were manufactured fit all the 2002 thru 2005 model years. Physically they are all the same size & shape. There is a few changes in the underside of the package shelf due to the shelf rubbing on the high folds of the soft top causing wear spots and like pointed out above the water drainage along the windshield header was somewhat corrected. However, each top, in order to fit to the car body may need to have the mounting blocks behind the HT's windshield header adjusted. A very easy quick thing to do if needed.

The soft top boot for the model year 2002 will fit all the 2002-2005 and the same the opposite way, all 2003-2005 boots will fit the 2002.

Also to Skizix Savage the color of your 2003 in the sales booklet is identified as Mountain Shadow Grey & the interior is called Saddle. Ford did not have a gun metal grey.

I would guess that any competent local paint and body shop would re-spray into the color you seek for not many $.

My problem is with the USELESS and UGLY “port hole” window! Turn your head left and you cannot see anything. Turn your head right to try to see through the blind spot and your view is BLOCKED by the passenger headrest!

While at the body shop for that paint job, have them scab and smooth over that eyesore “port.”
You are kidding.. right

Yes BUT someone just last week or so told us all exactly how they feel about the HT & the iconic Thunderbird porthole.
This response triggered more replies.

All that said,. Best of Luck with your sale, hope it goes quick & easily for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back