Intake manifold questions for a 1969 thunderbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hmm - well, my opinion is, install an EFI system. Carbs are so retro, know what I mean?

Hmm - well, my opinion is, install an EFI system. Carbs are so retro, know what I mean?
yeah but then you need all those computers, a new fuel pump I guess and all the wiring that goes with it. A carb is just so much simpler and easier to tune. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible. I got enough trouble when I work on my other cars with all that fuel injection crap. Also... Carbs are just classic muscle feel to them. Those air cleaners look pretty sexy looking sitting on top of your motor.

That's for sure. I've only run Holley carbs and have had good luck with them.

I just put a holey 750 on my stock intake. I was actually looking on here to see if a weiand stealth would fit under the hood myself. I personally like the Holley over the Edelbrock.

I just put a holey 750 on my stock intake. I was actually looking on here to see if a weiand stealth would fit under the hood myself. I personally like the Holley over the Edelbrock.
The weiand stealth intake may not fit under the hood. it has a 6 inch deck height. Though if you do get one please let me know if it does fit. The Edelbrock intake is around 4 inches.

The weiand stealth intake may not fit under the hood. it has a 6 inch deck height. Though if you do get one please let me know if it does fit. The Edelbrock intake is around 4 inches.
I was looking today it may fit with a shorter filter housing and removing the insulation. If it doesnt I guess I'll be putting a cougar type scoop on the hood. Might look a little funny on a four door but I'll be ok with it.

I was looking today it may fit with a shorter filter housing and removing the insulation. If it doesnt I guess I'll be putting a cougar type scoop on the hood. Might look a little funny on a four door but I'll be ok with it.
I have already removed that nasty insulation shoot. It was getting in the way of my new MSD ignition I recently installed. I am leaning more towards the Edelbrock intake over the Weiand because a lot of what Weiand is making now is made in China. Also I have heard stories of the Weiand intake's ports having a too thin of a wall thickness. So when it heats up it tends to warp a little causing it to leak. Edelbrock is still all 100% made in the USA and it shows with how well made their intakes are.
IMG_0588.JPG

Man that MSD is looking proud and pretty. I'm probably going to go with a newer model Ford electronic distributor. Gotta hit up a pick and pull here in a couple weeks anyways.

Hello OneAmongOthers. I was wondering if you changed the intake manifold? My Blue Thunder is going for a complete overhaul and I'm thinking of putting a modern intake manifold on it. Did you swap the old iron one for the modern aluminum one? Which one? Thanks. Eber

Hello OneAmongOthers. I was wondering if you changed the intake manifold? My Blue Thunder is going for a complete overhaul and I'm thinking of putting a modern intake manifold on it. Did you swap the old iron one for the modern aluminum one? Which one? Thanks. Eber
Yes I did. I went with a Edlebrock intake manifold.
IMG_0638.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0642.JPGIMG_0643.JPGIMG_0655.JPGIMG_0656.JPGIMG_0658.JPGIMG_0659.JPGIMG_0660.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
100% performance increase in coolness factor. As for actual performance? Probably not much. Wasn't really going for a ton of performance honestly. I just wanted more reliability over the old points and cast iron intake. Plus I had no idea about the previous carburetor.

Just 2 more questions: what size carburetor are you using (600CFM or 750CFM)? Did you say improved cooling? Mine I replaced the radiator and it still gets very hot. Grateful.

Just 2 more questions: what size carburetor are you using (600CFM or 750CFM)? Did you say improved cooling? Mine I replaced the radiator and it still gets very hot. Grateful.
Coolness factor as it looks awesome. Not because it helps with cooling. Though it will help with cooling because a 20lb aluminum intake is going to expend heat A LOT faster than a 80lb cast iron one. Also for Carburetor choice I went with a 750CFM.

I just installed an Edelbrock 600 CFM on my stock 1969 Intake. I had to buy a bunch of Edelbrock carb accessories to get things to fit. I put in a 1" phenolic spacer for heat and throttle linkage clearance. Edelbrock gives you 1 gasket so I bought a second gasket to have one above and below the spacer. I changed out the mounting studs as well with the ones include with the spacer. I used the banjo fitting for the fuel supply to help with the dress of the install. I purchased the Fuel Line kit and used the filter and the hoses but not the barbed fittings as I already had a barb on my fuel line. I had to use both the kickdown linkage bracket and the Ford Throttle linkage adapter from Edelbrock to get everything to fit. The most challenging aspect of the replacement, mostly due to lack of proper shop equipment, was blanking off the hole on the manifold when I removed the choke stove. I ended up fashioning a blank from sheet aluminum and securing it with the bolts from the choke stove along with some gasket RTV. Before closing the hood, I checked fit some Play-doh.

Hi OneAmongOther. I bought a Weiand 8012 intake manifold yesterday for my 69 T-Bird project in retirement. I forgot to check the height and the car is all disassembled. I need your help: You bought the Edelbrock, but would you have room to put the Weiand 8012, which is 2' taller? Thanks. Eber/Brazil.
OBS: if it doesn't work I will return it, since it will still be shipped to Brazil.

Hi OneAmongOther. I bought a Weiand 8012 intake manifold yesterday for my 69 T-Bird project in retirement. I forgot to check the height and the car is all disassembled. I need your help: You bought the Edelbrock, but would you have room to put the Weiand 8012, which is 2' taller? Thanks. Eber/Brazil.
OBS: if it doesn't work I will return it, since it will still be shipped to Brazil.
Eber - Prior to my carb replacement, I checked clearance under the hood with everything stock (manifold, carb, air cleaner), I had about 2" total, If you're adding 2" taller, it's going to be tight unless you're putting something else into the stack-up to make it lower. I had my most issues relative to the throttle linkage and kickdown lever. Edelbrock has lots of adapters to adjust and move things out. The caution is if you can still fit the stock air cleaner on if that's your desire. I nearly went with the Edelbrock chrome unit for fit, but I was able to get the stock to sit down properly. I think since you're replacing the intake, you won't have to deal with the choke stove issue that I had.

Measure the stackup of your old parts and compare to the stackup of your new parts, including air cleaner.

Good luck and have fun.

Rich

Back