Inner fender engine bay flaps for a 1969 ford thunderbird

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey guys I am working on fixing up/restoring my 69 tbird and as I am working on replacing all the front suspension components the inner fender rubber or whatever they are made out of flaps were so detoriated/torn are gone. Can I just tear them out for now? Is there a way I can replace them? I guess just buy some rubber in strips and cut it to fit?
https://i.*********/OD4JeMF.jpg
https://i.*********/3CRByct.jpg
Can I leave those spaces open?

These squirt flaps keep your engine bay clean. There are several of such rubber pieces around. Also one under the radiator. All these are hold on with plastic plugs of 6mm. If you do a correct resto, you should make them new.

These squirt flaps keep your engine bay clean. There are several of such rubber pieces around. Also one under the radiator. All these are hold on with plastic plugs of 6mm. If you do a correct resto, you should make them new.
Okay so I guess just get a roll of rubber in the correct size and then cut it to shape? The plastic push pins I can still easily get. Oh and I didn't know one was underneath too by the radiator. There is nothing there now.

If its completely gone, you look for the little holes where the push pins once have bean. I send 2 pics of my car when I did it complete underneath - maybe they help you in the future if you like to look up something.

Attachments

• T-Bird 14.12 - 2.png
    T-Bird 14.12 - 2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • T-Bird 14.12 - 4.png
    T-Bird 14.12 - 4.png
    807 KB · Views: 0
well its clean underneath thats for sure. Though it doesn't show me anything else.

If its completely gone, you look for the little holes where the push pins once have bean. I send 2 pics of my car when I did it complete underneath - maybe they help you in the future if you like to look up something.
Nice! did you do off frame? I just finished all the front suspension also. Trying to do as much as I can myself.

Nice! did you do off frame? I just finished all the front suspension also. Trying to do as much as I can myself.
Off frame is a bit much for me. Underneath is not bad anyway. No rot except on the rear quarter. Frame, floors, rockers and trunk is solid. Just get a wire brush some sanding tools and Eastwood paint. I recommend getting the inner frame rail paint and rust converter and encapsulator. Scrape with a wire brush and wheel just to remove the dirt and grease. Spray the rust converter on the rusty metal. It chemically reacts with it making it inert and neutral stopping the rust and providing a paintable surface. Then use the encapsulator and paint over the converter. Seals it really good! Use the inner frame rail paint from Eastwood too! It has a long tube with 4 way spray tip so you stick it into the holes in the frame and coat in inside.

I pretty much did the entire front section of my car like that.

Off frame is a bit much for me. Underneath is not bad anyway. No rot except on the rear quarter. Frame, floors, rockers and trunk is solid. Just get a wire brush some sanding tools and Eastwood paint. I recommend getting the inner frame rail paint and rust converter and encapsulator. Scrape with a wire brush and wheel just to remove the dirt and grease. Spray the rust converter on the rusty metal. It chemically reacts with it making it inert and neutral stopping the rust and providing a paintable surface. Then use the encapsulator and paint over the converter. Seals it really good! Use the inner frame rail paint from Eastwood too! It has a long tube with 4 way spray tip so you stick it into the holes in the frame and coat in inside.

I pretty much did the entire front section of my car like that.
Thanks for the tips

Back