Information needed on 1966 T-Bird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1966 T-Bird Our's has a C in the vin number for engine identification. I have looked at two of the three stamped on the car. The title shows O. No data plate on door. The car is a 390 but previous owner said it was not the original but was replaced with period correct 390. 390 identifier Z,M. Q for 428 motor. I believe this car was a 428 original has it has a 428 air cleaner on it. Car was pull out of storage after over 30 years. Any thoughts on this.

Lot of people looking any idea yet. It also has a a star stamped at the end of vin in two out of three places. I am new at thunderbirds surely someone on here can help me out with this. Thanks

According to information on the Ford Barn site the star on the VIN (usually stamped on the frame if I remember correctly) was most likely for security purposes.
From the Ford Barn.... "I think it was a security thing. Its pretty easy for anyone to come up with number stamps, but a bit more challenging to get a star.
Also by stamping a star at both ends of the VIN someone could not just add more digits and create their own unique number from an original."

Regarding the "C" on your data plate and the "O" on your title... in 1966 Engine codes were "Z" for the 390. "Q" for the 428 and "8" for export (also a 428). I would guess possibly there was a mis-stamp when hitting on the data plate and it is missing the right side of the "Q" and your car is / was a 428 from the factory. If the engine has been changed it could be a 390 with 428 trim on it. You will need to get the identification numbers off the block and I do not know, at this moment, how to get a listing of engine manufacturing serial numbers.

Try this to figure out which engine you have... The casting numbers will get you into the family of possible engines.
The casting number is on the right (passenger) side of the block, in the front.
FE (330-428 SCJ) note: nearly all FE blocks have 352 cast on the front of them.

http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/engine/partnums.htm

I'm not 100% sure but if you go to that listing from erareplicas. You can probably use the block casting and head casting information to ascertain which engine it is.

According to information on the Ford Barn site the star on the VIN (usually stamped on the frame if I remember correctly) was most likely for security purposes.
From the Ford Barn.... "I think it was a security thing. Its pretty easy for anyone to come up with number stamps, but a bit more challenging to get a star.
Also by stamping a star at both ends of the VIN someone could not just add more digits and create their own unique number from an original."

Regarding the "C" on your data plate and the "O" on your title... in 1966 Engine codes were "Z" for the 390. "Q" for the 428 and "8" for export (also a 428). I would guess possibly there was a mis-stamp when hitting on the data plate and it is missing the right side of the "Q" and your car is / was a 428 from the factory. If the engine has been changed it could be a 390 with 428 trim on it. You will need to get the identification numbers off the block and I do not know, at this moment, how to get a listing of engine manufacturing serial numbers.
Thank you very much for all the info. I will sat about looking at all you adviced to do. My thought was that it was a 428 car. I will continue to learn more about these Thunderbirds as we also have a 1969 that we already made road worthy after a 30 year nap. More to do but we can get in it and run it up and down the road. Lol

1966 T-Bird Our's has a C in the vin number for engine identification. I have looked at two of the three stamped on the car. The title shows O. No data plate on door. The car is a 390 but previous owner said it was not the original but was replaced with period correct 390. 390 identifier Z,M. Q for 428 motor. I believe this car was a 428 original has it has a 428 air cleaner on it. Car was pull out of storage after over 30 years. Any thoughts on this.

I was running into the same problem engine ID with my car. I do know that it came from the factory with the Q code, 428. But was told that along the line, the engine was replaced with a 390, and later, back to a 428 CJ. The stamp on the block, lower right bank of the engine in the car now, does identify it as a "428 4V Police interceptor Cobra jet" according to the erareplicas list. I also found a site, which said that the flex plate on the 428 had triangular cut-outs in it, the 390 does not. The engine in my car does have the cut-outs, so I am confident that the engine is a 428. Hope this helps. Cheers

I was running into the same problem engine ID with my car. I do know that it came from the factory with the Q code, 428. But was told that along the line, the engine was replaced with a 390, and later, back to a 428 CJ. The stamp on the block, lower right bank of the engine in the car now, does identify it as a "428 4V Police interceptor Cobra jet" according to the erareplicas list. I also found a site, which said that the flex plate on the 428 had triangular cut-outs in it, the 390 does not. The engine in my car does have the cut-outs, so I am confident that the engine is a 428. Hope this helps. Cheers
Thanks now I am going to check numbers on the block I have reason to believe it is a 428

Hey guys I have a 1966 Convertible True G Code and I am selling it now good car, not Barrett Jackson or anything but has the potential to be. I know that they only made 75 of these in 66 so it should grab someones attention at $8500 bucks 954 394 6581
428 Q Code with factory cruise control.1.jpg 5.jpg 1.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 9.jpg 11.jpg

Back