Importance of Shock Tower Braces (1965)

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi,

How important are shock tower braces?

My wife's car does not have them.
I am wondering if I need to get a set and put them on for her.

Thanks! Jody

You should do that plus upgrade your sway bar to the 1 1/8. They have kits that give you everything to replace it.

Folks, I'm having a hard time believing that the lack of shock tower braces would increase body twisting at all. This is a unibody car and it seems to be as thick as a brick.

Jody, generally these braces were removed because a different master cylinder / booster unit was put on the car. So when you go to replace them, which I agree is a good idea, keep that in mind, you may need to modify the braces.

Doug

Thanks Doug.

I feel better about driving the car as is, at least for now.
My wife's car has needs, I have to help prioritize.

Jody

For what it's worth, I just put a set on my 1965 HT last week. They've been missing for at least 25 years, so I was interested to see if there was any torquing or shifting in the engine bay since it was not braced for so long. Nothing -- the braces fit right into the holes with no convincing needed. I put the heavier sway bar at the same time, so I don't know what to attribute the ride to -- but it's all good. I have no idea why they were taken off. I'm still on the OEM master cylinder.

Thank you, I feel even better about leaving them off while my wife finishes fixing up her car.
Jody

Back