Ignition coil problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JonZ

Last seen
Moderator Note-
You can purchase 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird ignition coils here pretty cheap now or buy the original motorcraft ignition coils here! Don't forget to order 8 spark plugs too because the coils foul them out! You will need a 6 pack + 2.
2003-05-coils.jpg

There is also a newer thread here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...005-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but have read through quite a few of the posts. I have an issue that one or more of you may have had and wanted to see about some possible guidance.

I have a 2004 Tbird. As several have noted, I have experienced noise from the rear end and ended up replacing the right rear wheel bearing - which solved that problem. I also had to replace the heater bypass valve which solved an AC problem.

However, most recently, I have had to replace three ignition coils. First 1, then a second and today the third. When the shop replaced the first 2, they also performed a complete test of the fuel system and cleaned the injectors. I drove the car for about 10 miles after picking it up, got the blinking than solid "check engine" indicator - and back to the shop for ignition coil 3. In a discussion with the shop, they found a bulletin related to a coil seal issue from Ford for 2005+. So today they also added "seals". Has anyone else had this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Jon:
First of all WELCOME to the Forum!:)
I hope all of this work was under warranty??? Especially the coil issues, which have a special 100,000 mile warranty. I believe the seals are part of that as well.
Most of the seal issues were leaking either water or oil. If it was oil they found that the source was from the engine and that needed gaskets (I believe valve cover gaskets) as well. If it was water, it came from the area where the windshield wiper motor was and that seal had to be replaced.

Welcome!

Yes, those are troublesome problems. I also agree that this should be covered under warranty. It sucks when a car has a problem like this. Have you had any more problems with the car since they replaced the seal. Have you been taking it to a dealer or just a shop?

ignition coil problems and pcm

I have a 03 and had the same problem, and a short time after I had it repaired, they issued the 100,000 warranty and gave me a refund. Now I have and even bigger problem, as of to day, it's been sitting at the dealer day 30, and no end in site. Now the pcm went bad, and guess what, Ford Motor has no replacements. We have called Ford customer service, and today, the supervisor hang up on my wife. These T-birds are the biggest pieces of junk, and I think FMCO.needs to be held responsible buy them all back!!FORDS SUCK !!

I have a friend here in New England that had his '03 at the dealer, last March, for 3+months waiting for the same part.
You would think they would get their act together by now :confused:

Jon,
I have a 2005 model. At 73,968 miles I had the coil problem and the dealer replaced 4 coils under warranty without me even saying anything. Obviously, to to this with that mileage, Ford knew there was a problem.
Bob

Bob, there is a special 100,000 mile warranty , just for COPS, and only for 2003 thru 2005 TBirds. - Just in case you didn't know

I have a 2005 Thunderbird. The car was in storage for 18 months until early this year. I had to replace 7 out of 8 coils - should this have been warranty work?

J:
Welcome and Yes. The coils are covered up to 100,000 miles or 10 years on your car
I think it was 10 years, but check with them when you return and let us all know

Yes I did. I just got my 2005 bird out of the shop after replacing all 8 coils and spark plugs. This was after 4 had been replaced over the years. I would recommend all take there cars in for this factory recall and have them installed. It is not something Ford will advise you of, only if you take the car in will they do this warranty work.

skm... Did you offer the receipts for the 4 that were replaced over the years? I believe some members reported that they got reimbursed as long as they had receipts.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but have read through quite a few of the posts. I have an issue that one or more of you may have had and wanted to see about some possible guidance.

I have a 2004 Tbird. As several have noted, I have experienced noise from the rear end and ended up replacing the right rear wheel bearing - which solved that problem. I also had to replace the heater bypass valve which solved an AC problem.

However, most recently, I have had to replace three ingnition coils. First 1, then a second and today the third. When the shop replacex the first 2, they also performed a complete test of the fuel system and cleaned the injectors. I drove the car for about 10 miles after picking it up, got the blinking than solid "check engine" indicator - and back to the shop for ignition coil set 3. In a discussion with the shop, they found a bulletin related to a coil seal issue from Ford for 2005+. So today they also added "seals". Has anyone else had this issue?

i also had the same problem with my brother's tbird. good thing there are warranty and that the ignition set would be replaced immediately.

3 times a charm

Had this done three times. First time under my extended non Ford warranty and twice under Ford. They finally fixed the cause. Runs like a Banshee now except the transmission has always been "choppy"

Had this done three times. First time under my extended non Ford warranty and twice under Ford. They finally fixed the cause. Runs like a Banshee now except the transmission has always been "choppy"

Posted on your other thread: BTW, there is a tranny reprogramming that Ford can do for about $80-$100. which usually corrects that choppyness you're getting

The fix for the COP failure cause. Was it around the windshield ares gasket assy?

George and all,
Well, the wife's 05 started running kinda raggedly last week, so she took it to the Lincoln dealer. She left the car since we were going out of town for the rest of the week, so they had, kinda, all the time they needed to diagnose and fix it. The tech called a couple of times to say they had fixed the whine...bad belt and some part that "drove" the belt, but couldn't make the car do the "ragged" thing.
Anyway, we got back Sunday and on Monday called for a status. She was told the tech was test driving it as we speak.
We picked up the car this morning, Tuesday, and my wife drove it home. RAN GREAT!!!!!!!!!
When I looked at the ticket, lo and behold they had replace not 1, not 2 but 8 coils and plugs as well as replaced the parts and seals where the leak had occurred.
And on top of that, she found out that when the tech drove it yesterday, he still experienced a little trouble, and replaced one of the coils and plugs a second time.
All under the extended warranty. $50 all it cost.
George, what does it really cost if no warranty?
To say that we are really pleased with the Lincold dealer is an understatement.
And thank goodness for the warranty.
George is there any need to post the part numbers or do you think that's been done enough on this forum.
HAve a good day.
Jim

Jim:
That is one excellant dealer you have there!! They went the extra mile for you and once again proves the Lincoln dealers are far better than the Ford dealers when it comes to our Thunderbirds.
Costs? I have had people tell me $850 and others $1000. I gues it depends on if they had plugs also. My guess is around $1000-$1200 is accurate. If I find out any more I'll post it here.
Posting the part numbers may help out any do-it-yourself'ers out there, but I believe the 2003-2005 would be different than the 2002.
Great post, thanks!!

After some research, here are some comments by owners, some DIY’s:

“The difficulty about COPS replacement is access. I am gradually purchasing Borg Warner E418's to replace the Motorcraft 513s. Once a person gets the covers off, the process is time consuming but fairly easy with proper standard metric tools”

“Here’s a Quote from Ford for two coils is $530.05, for all 8 is $1297.”
“At an average cost of $50/ coil this is already an annoyance....... but it's adding insult to injury when I see how very much dealerships are charging for the diagnosis, labor and parts together.”

“That is why, if I ever have the problem, I'll change all 8 along with new plugs. Think I can do it myself for under $500.”

Finally there is a co called weaponx that is coming out with a “high performance COPS in April. According to the web site a set for the 3.9 is $599.00. If you’re no longer under warranty and DIY, they will take advance orders – Just a thought & trying to help the TBird community

George and all,
Here's the parts info. They installed
8 DG-529 Coil AS
8 SP-468 Spark P
1 5W4Z-54021A46-A Seal
2 XW4Z-12025-AD Cover

All under warranty Per the 07N09 Program

Also replaced Belt Tensioner.
Also under warranty.
1 JK6-917 V-belt $57.50
Belt we bought.

Jim

When to expect Coil Problems

I just bought a 2004 with only 17,500 mi. When can I expect these coil and seal issues to start? Is it true All of us will have them?? Best Regards, Pete Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back