i cant remove my distributor from my 65 390

Status
Not open for further replies.
N
Last seen
i am trying to replace the head gasket on my '65 and for some reason i cannot get to to come out.
i put it at top dead centre, removed the cap and rotor, and the vacuum advance then took out the bolt and the holddown clamp, at that point i expected to be able to pull or rotate the distributor, but i can't do either of those things.

anyone have any advice?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

i am trying to replace the head gasket on my '65 and for some reason i cannot get to to come out.
i put it at top dead centre, removed the cap and rotor, and the vacuum advance then took out the bolt and the holddown clamp, at that point i expected to be able to pull or rotate the distributor, but i can't do either of those things.

anyone have any advice?
Try carb cleaner and wait till next day

Mine wa stuck, use blaster, a soft mallet and a strap wrench, work it from side and tap it a bit. Mine eventually came loose and out.
I did some research and it seems that is caused by the corrosion of the 2 different types of metal, aluminum and steel. Supposedly the best home remedy is a 50/50 solution of acetone and ATF. Heat the block up around the distributor and let it cool down a bit then soak it with the solution of the 50/50.

Back in the day, it was VERY common for Mel motor to pick up it's dist. It was caused by extreme heat and oil locking it in place, carbon build up, and just plain stubborn. If the eng was semi warm, we would blast the dist with a fire extinguisher and often it would break free. Other than that, as suggested, with the v.a. on working the dist side to side to with brake or carb cleaner and a pry bar it will eventually break free.

When you get it out, clean all the mating surfaces. Apply "Never Seize", before replacing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back