How to replace console shift indicator light on a 2005 Thunderbird?

Hemi Bob

Hemi Bob

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just purchased my 2005 and the console shift indicator light is not working. Does anyone have instructions or experience for how to disassemble the console so I can access this light? Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Bob, sorry to learn of your lamp problem, but it is an easy fix. You don't even need to remove the shifter knob. It will be easier if you do move it down into drive position.
Then with a very thin tool like a very small screw driver you need to remove the curve plastic panel that holds the heated seat switches. This is done by gently lifting a corner at at a time. Gently is the key word because this piece is only held in place by 2 very fragile tabs. Once this piece is up & moved slightly out of your way, no need to disconnect the wiring, the entire center console cover can be pulled up as far as the shift knob will allow and you can get to the bulbs.
The cover is held in place by clips, it just pulls upward is loose.
If however you want to get the shift knob out of the way entirely you can easily do this by sliding the ring collar down the shifter which will reveal a set screw, loosen & pull the knob up. Again, the shifter has to be out of Park to do this.
If you run into trouble message me.

Bob, sorry to learn of your lamp problem, but it is an easy fix. You don't even need to remove the shifter knob. It will be easier if you do move it down into drive position.
Then with a very thin tool like a very small screw driver you need to remove the curve plastic panel that holds the heated seat switches. This is done by gently lifting a corner at at a time. Gently is the key word because this piece is only held in place by 2 very fragile tabs. Once this piece is up & moved slightly out of your way, no need to disconnect the wiring, the entire center console cover can be pulled up as far as the shift knob will allow and you can get to the bulbs.
The cover is held in place by clips, it just pulls upward is loose.
If however you want to get the shift knob out of the way entirely you can easily do this by sliding the ring collar down the shifter which will reveal a set screw, loosen & pull the knob up. Again, the shifter has to be out of Park to do this.
If you run into trouble message me.
I would like to add to your DIY to clarify. After taking he curved panel ( mine was a blank curved panel with no heat switch option) Putting the shifter in neutral I was able to lift the entire console up and out. I had two metal push in connectors in the front and two more in the middle of the console and it left up from the front being it has two curved plastic hinges on the back of the panel. Next I pried up (gently the cover with the gear designations pops up front and back. I got it up high enough to show a bulb connector underneath facing the driver, twisted the connector out. I found it uses a 37 mini bulb the only one I found. I hope this adds the previous response. Jim

I would like to add to your DIY to clarify. After taking he curved panel ( mine was a blank curved panel with no heat switch option) Putting the shifter in neutral I was able to lift the entire console up and out. I had two metal push in connectors in the front and two more in the middle of the console and it left up from the front being it has two curved plastic hinges on the back of the panel. Next I pried up (gently the cover with the gear designations pops up front and back. I got it up high enough to show a bulb connector underneath facing the driver, twisted the connector out. I found it uses a 37 mini bulb the only one I found. I hope this adds the previous response. Jim
Hello, where did you find the 37 mini bulb? Thanks!

Excellent tools to have on hand & very inexpensive.
Metal screwdriver blades & puddy knives, metal rulers & whatever else you may think might do the job it a total waste of your time not to mention three damage those types of tools cause.

I swapped out my shift indicator today thanks to this thread. While you can’t get the part new anymore there are people selling the shift assembly on eBay. Next step will be replacing all the lousy faux wood trim pieces with carbon fiber.

Before

E87DF3DD-753A-477F-ABBE-83BB9B538607.jpeg

After

6B7B8C45-81CE-4896-987D-3DCB7474D1FD.jpeg

Back