How many Unmodified Cruise- O-Matic transmissions are out there?

S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone have a cruise o matic transmission that has never been removed if so how many miles do you have on the clock? I am in the middle of a refurbish of very low mileage bird that has been setting for 45yrs and am concerned seals might be bad.

Does anyone have a cruise o matic transmission that has never been removed if so how many miles do you have on the clock? I am in the middle of a refurbish of very low mileage bird that has been setting for 45yrs and am concerned seals might be bad.
i had one out of a 57 for 7 years standing on its bellhousing. put it back in the car untouched other than replacing front pump and rear tail seal and worked perfectly. i would say i was pretty lucky.

If you already have the transmission out of the car, then rebuild it. If it's still in the car, then try your luck. Chances are though. The seals and orings will be dry and shrunk resulting in bad shifting and leaks.

My 64 has about is about 65000 miles no issue so far

My 63 has about 90K on it and is losing reverse (you have to let it warm up for a while before it will work). I am going to try to fix it this winter. If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them.

I am having a hard time with this, motor is out because rusted cylinder walls. Yes tranny is ripe for the picking but it is very heavy. I will most likely have to buy a xmission jack/lift. I saw some fine metal in pan fluid but nothing with any part numbers on it. LOL I overhauled a Galaxie C4 40yrs ago and was the only one I have ever done. How hard and how much much disassembly is required to replace seals? Right now I am in a spin and need to find direction. Thanks and glad I have this to work on, this year has been pure ell.

Do you know why your car was put out to pasture? The metal in the trans pan may be a clue? I would hate to rebuild an engine just to find the trans leaked like a sieve or did not work.

Back