How do I stop static on stock AM radio on 2005 TBird

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

That’s a great question! I just don’t listen to it but I know that you want a better answer. I suppose you could stream the station over their website, I Heart Radio or Radio.com with your phone. There are little FM transmitters that link via Bluetooth to your phone. You can then listen through your FM. I’m sure that one of the radio wizards will have another idea.

Is the static all the time, or does it vary with engine speed.

Depending on the above, could be several things, or the nature of
AM radio, ampilitude modulation.

If the static is there most all the time, regardless of engine speed, I would think one of two things. An internal
electrical issue ( worn out electronics ), or a broken shield on you cars antenna.

Is the static there when car engine is off, but radio on?

The static is always there so I seldom listen to it. I do not think it varied much with engine speed. I am almost positive it is only when the engine is running but I will test that when it stops raining. Thanks for the idea Edward.

How do I stop static on stock AM radio on 2005 TBird
From my experience as an aviation mechanic “static” is caused by diminished ability of the equipment which is less likely with today’s modern electronics or more likely poor antenna connections or antenna, either the core or the ground. Clean those connections. See if it helps. Where are you? For example, My 2002 has lived it’s life in a dry climate and garaged 68K miles and the sound system sounds like new.

I am in CT and it had static when I bought it at 44k miles in PA and there has not been a change and I am at 97k now.. Where do I find the connections besides the antenna plug going into the back of the radio? Is there a test I can do at that plug? Maybe pugging in an old car antenna (if I can find one) would isolate the issue.

I am in CT and it had static when I bought it at 44k miles in PA and there has not been a change and I am at 97k now.. Where do I find the connections besides the antenna plug going into the back of the radio? Is there a test I can do at that plug? Maybe pugging in an old car antenna (if I can find one) would isolate the issue.
I found one report that said the radio antenna is just forward of the right door behind the fender and maybe you can see it looking forward with the door open? My car is parked so I cannot check that but will check tomorrow. Any corrosion on any connection, maybe even the mount to the body could cause static.

The radio antenna is bonded to the center of the windshield, Starts behind the rear view mirror at the top, and runs down
almost to the bottom of the windshield. There has to be some sort of connection at the top center of the windshield.

Might have a loose ground, or worn out electronics inside the radio.

Have you tried putting a Bounce dryer sheet in the CD slot?

The radio antenna is bonded to the center of the windshield, Starts behind the rear view mirror at the top, and runs down
almost to the bottom of the windshield. There has to be some sort of connection at the top center of the windshield.

Might have a loose ground, or worn out electronics inside the radio.
That’s good to know!

Have you tried putting a Bounce dryer sheet in the CD slot?
I just tested the radio with the engine off and it fine (as AM can be). When the engine is running the noise varies from station to station but is not affected by engine RPMs so I suspect the Antenna or it's connection is the issue. The next warm day before I put the hardtop back on I will do some testing. I have lived with it since 2009 so it may wait till spring.

It’d be easier to look at connections up by the mirror without the top on for sure.

I just tested the radio with the engine off and it fine (as AM can be). When the engine is running the noise varies from station to station but is not affected by engine RPMs so I suspect the Antenna or it's connection is the issue. The next warm day before I put the hardtop back on I will do some testing. I have lived with it since 2009 so it may wait till spring.

I would check your antenna connection at the top of the windshield, however since you said the noise mostly occures when the engine is
running, make sure your hood insulation is grounded, there is a grounding strip near the right hood strut.

Back