Horn ring for 1960

69factory tach

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1960. Attempting to reinstall steering wheel and get the horn ring to work . With it removed I can short across spring contact and theaded shaft and horns work. When operating horn ring cant get horn to activate. Anyone have photo or drawings that show how it goes together?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a 1960. Attempting to reinstall steering wheel and get the horn ring to work . With it removed I can short across spring contact and theaded shaft and horns work. When operating horn ring cant get horn to activate. Anyone have photo or drawings that show how it goes together?
Did you ever get your horn working? I have a 1960 with same problem as you described.

Try loosing the screws that hold the column to the bottom of dash, and pull the column up towards the steering wheel. Tighten and see if it works. Sometimes it has slid down and the contact is to far away to touch the horn ring.

Try loosing the screws that hold the column to the bottom of dash, and pull the column up towards the steering wheel. Tighten and see if it works. Sometimes it has slid down and the contact is to far away to touch the horn ring.
The horn button to the horn ring gap was 3/16 of an inch -- too far to make contact and fire off the horn when using the horn ring. I tried your suggestion, loosened the bolts that hold the column to the bottom of the dash, pulled up the column so there was about 1/16 of an inch clearance, and whalla the horn now works perfectly. Thanks for the help...

The horn button to the horn ring gap was 3/16 of an inch -- too far to make contact and fire off the horn when using the horn ring. I tried your suggestion, loosened the bolts that hold the column to the bottom of the dash, pulled up the column so there was about 1/16 of an inch clearance, and whalla the horn now works perfectly. Thanks for the help...
Glad it worked for you

There are two phillips screws about 16" down the steering column that permit the column itself to be adjusted up or down. Since the horn ring/steering wheel is attached to the shaft, the column might have to be moved upward so that the spring makes contact with it.

Back