Hi everyone 1959 Thunderbird

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Im looking to buy a 1959 Ford Thunderbird. I took it for a test drive and the stearing seemed very loose. Are all older cars like this or did this year squarebird have stearing problems

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Im looking to buy a 1959 Ford Thunderbird. I took it for a test drive and the stearing seemed very loose. Are all older cars like this or did this year squarebird have stearing problems
Hi, I just bought a 64 Thunderbird and mine has a pretty tight steering for the age. Now someone took the time to put new bushings and other front end suspension parts on. I used to own old cars and a lot of them had a lot of play in the steering. They won't steer like newer racket pinion and other modern type front ends, but they shouldn't have loose play in the steering either. Sometimes the steering box or other items need to be upgraded. That's my 2 cents. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck on your purchase.

Hi, I just bought a 64 Thunderbird and mine has a pretty tight steering for the age. Now someone took the time to put new bushings and other front end suspension parts on. I used to own old cars and a lot of them had a lot of play in the steering. They won't steer like newer racket pinion and other modern type front ends, but they shouldn't have loose play in the steering either. Sometimes the steering box or other items need to be upgraded. That's my 2 cents. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck on your purchase.
Thanks for your reply. I figured it had to do with age of car and how they were made. Parts are better now. Just trying to see if it's a common problem

The first time I ever drove an old Mustang, it did not have power steering either, and I was thinking, wow this is crazy!

I recently purchased a 65 tbird and the previous owner put a lot of work into the car as his intention was to keep the car. He showed me how many things he did to the car and one of them was the Steering bushings that he replaced due to too much play in the steering. Hope that helps

Attachments

• TbirdSMmod-11.jpg
    TbirdSMmod-11.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 1
The steering on several 59 and 60 t'birds I have owned were all loose. You can move the wheel back and forth a bit without the car responding to that movement

Back