Help with replacing air filter for 2005 T-Bird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
P
Last seen
I went to the manual, and followed the steps.

First, I loosened the hose clamp on the left of the air filter housing.
Second, I opened the two clamps on the side of the air filter housing facing the windshield.
Third, I tried to remove the air filter housing, as it says in the manual.

However, it would not budge (well, I could lift the housing top upward about an inch, but I certainly could not move it enough to take out the air filter already in there)! It seems that the side of the air filter housing closest to the front end of the car is kind of stuck, and I am afraid to do anything since it is a plastic housing and appears easily breakable. I tried a little force, but nothing!

Is the side of the air filter housing closest to the front of the car attached the bottom portion of the air filter housing in some way? According to the manual, that is not the case, but it certainly appears to be held in place someway.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.

......the front of the air filter box hooks.....and the fasteners are on the other side...It's a bit of a struggle, but I don't have to loosen anything....watch the um, I think is the hood release cable...that goes around the filter box.....

Thank you, 00Mustang.

Before I tackle it again, please clarify what you mean by "fasteners on the other side."

It almost feels like it is hinged on that side, but I don't think that is the case. In any event, if it has fasteners, do I have to be careful not to break those fasteners when I try to pull the top of the air filter housing from the bottom of the air filter housing.

Also, when I loosened the hose clamp, it really did not do much of anything, and I take it from you response that you did not even have to do that -- rather, you just popped the two clips on the air filter housing side closest to the passenger compartment, and then wiggled it a bit, and then removed the top.

I wish it was as easy as that for me, but it was not. Again, I am afraid to be forceful once I remove the two clips, because it just feels like the side of the air filter closest to the front of the car is held in place tightly, and something would break if I wiggled the air filter housing too hard in order to remove the top.

Any clarification you can provide (or anyone else) would be great!

Thanks.

Sorry, but I meant one of my sentences as a question:

Do I have to be careful not to break those fasteners when I try to pull the top of the air filter housing from the bottom of the air filter housing?

Also, what exactly are those fasteners, and how do they operate (that might give me a better idea about how to unfasten them from the bottom portion of the air filter)?

If it's the ones I'm thinking of, press down on them (outer ring) and the center pops up then remove

Thanks, George. I think you are referring to the two clasps on the side of the air filter closest to the passenger compartment. Those I have no problem opening. It's the thing-a-ma-jigs on the side closest to the front of the car that I cannot figure out.

After looking at it some more, the top part of the air filter housing on the side closest to the front of the car has about 6 tabs that extend horizontally towards the front of the car. The bottom part of the air filter, to the best I can figure out, has 6 rectangular-shaped slots in which the 6 tabs of the top part fit through.

Now, my problem is that even after opening the two clasps on the side of the air filter closest to the passenger compartment, and even after loosening the air hose clamp on the side of the air filter, the air filter housing does not seem to be able to move much at all. An inch up, perhaps an inch to the side, but not nearly enough to move those darn tabs of the top part of the air filter housing out of the slots of the bottom part of the air filter housing. As such, I'm in a pickle trying to remove the air filter housing.

The tabs are plastic, so I am hestitant to press down on them, fearing that they will break, and in any event that would not seem to remove them from the slots they extend horizontal through.

Any other thoughts?

Change cabin air filter

I was able to change the cabin air filter today on my 2004 bird.
I took all of the plastic rivets with the center release out...all along the
top of the plastic cowl. I was able then to lift it up just enough
to get to the old filter and release the tabs. Pull old filter out. Then install the new one and click the filter tabs down. Replace plastic screws
Time 15 minutes.
Hastings Cabin Air Filter Part #HAAF 1110

My problem is with the engine air filter, not the cabin air filter.

In any event, I tried all weekend, to no avail. This link was down all weekend, for some weird reason, so I tried another forum, but still could not do it.

My assessment of changing an engine air filter for a 2005 T-Bird is:

It is a Catch-22:

1) You cannot remove the hose part of the air filter housing from the accordion hose that it is attached to via a hose clamp, without first removing the slots of the top part of the air filter housing from the tabs of the lower part of the air filter housing.

My assessment is that changing the engine air filter for a 2005 T-Bird is a CATCH-22:

1) You cannot remove the hose part of the air filter housing from the accordion hose that it is attached to via the hose clamp slots of the top part of the air filter housing, without first removing from the tabs of the lower part of the air filter housing from the slots of the upper part of the air filter housing.

2) You cannot remove the slots of the top part of the air filter housing from the tabs of the lower part of the air filter housing, without first removing the hose part of the air filter housing housing from the accordion hose that it is attached to via the hose clamp.

I feel like one of those mice who run around all day in a maze, and can never find their way out!

air filter

phil

I have an 05 as well and when I was checking it out last year I came across the same problem. new so it didn't need changing. now you have me interested again so i'll look at mine again. I think it is another one of Fords better ideas that drive it for the dealer to change. The owners manual is one of the worst I've ever dealt with. its like the person who wrote it had no idea of what a T Bird was. there are plenty of other things that do not work the way the manual says it should or they just flat ignore the topic. example: check out how it says to adjust the headlites then using the tool they say to use try it. its the wrong tool. :confused:

Let me know how you did Scriv, since I have gotten nowhere on my air filter replacement task. I will wait a while for you to respond before I go to the dealership, and I agree totally with you concerning the idiotic Owner's Manual. The steps written to change the air filter are beyond ridiculous!

changing air filter

I just changed air filter with K&N filter in my 03. Don't know if there is a difference , but I'll explain how mine went.
#1. Loosen clamp at the left end of air tube.
#2. Air sensor relay wire, push little red tab up and disconnect.
#3. Remove small hex head screw in center above filter box.
#4. Remove cowel cover in front of radiator by removing fastners.
#5. Carefully remove entire filter box by manuvering up and away from engine.(may need to pull box tube out of rubber tube to engine by twisting the box.)
#6. Remove old filter with new and reverse procedure.

Joe:
If I understand correctly, you should see improved performance with more air getting to the engine - And no affect on warranty
Is the sound more "throaty" from the engine compartment?

I was just about to ask the question on a K&N filter.When I had my Pontiac GTP it made a difference,also had one in my Bronco. Keep us posted on it :cool:

K&N Air Filter

George & Ed,

I have K&N air filters in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee, 2001 PT Cruiser, 2000 Damon Intruder Class A motorhome and now in my 03'Bird. The only vehicle that you can hear the difference is in the motorhome, with the V-10 315 hp, it makes some noise. There appeared no difference in sound in any of the others.
There was a notable difference in performance and gas milage with the PT. Wife said she noticed more pep and took hills quicker and easier and gained two miles to the gallon.
The reason I use K&N is that I keep my vehicles for long time and found K&N's do not need to be replaced or cleaned for long periods. All I have had to do was gently bang the filter on the ground knocking large particles from filter surface.
Hope this answers some of your questions, if not let me know.

...well...I'm beginning to wonder whether there is a difference between the 02 and the 05 airbox?....not many 05's made it to Canada.....so now I wonder.....

:confused: There is a difference. - K&N did not offer a system for '02's but did for '03-05's.

There is a guy that has made one for '02's though:cool:

2003 -2005 Air filter

The manual is basically correct in the procedure. Loosen the flex hose that runs from the engine intake to the filter housing. Once loose, it is mandatory to get complete seperation of the flex tube and the airfilter housing. Release the two plastic snaps on the top of the filter housing and tip the housing up. As you are leaning over the front of the car, force the filter housing towards the front of the car and it will separate. Clean the housing and replace the filter. Align the tabs on the front of the housing and then tip the back of the housing back into place and get the plastic snaps to seat closed. Hook the flex hose back up to the filter housing and then tighten the hose clamp. You are done. The key to the change is separting the flex hose from the filter housing and it is not necessary to remove the flex hose from the engine intake end.
Hope this helps!

Air cleaner

I changed my air cleaner last year on my o5, had to use brute force, got the job done. I think Ford could have done a better design job on the replacement requirements.

Just changed mine out on a 2002. Didn't disconnect the air supply hose, just released the rear clipps, got the lid to come up a bit then pushed it forward to clear the front keys/tabs. Just then lifted the lid just to change the filters out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back