Head & Leg room

Status
Not open for further replies.
M
Last seen
Hi all,

My wife and I are considering purchasing 03-05 T-Bird. Local dealers here in VT have none and we are mostly shopping online. My question is about head room and leg room. I am a tall guy at 6' 3" and I just do not fit comfortably in some vehicles.

I would appreciate any input you guys have concerning this.

Thanx in advance.

Butch

head room, etc

Just as a reference point, one of my grandsons is approximately 6'4" and over 300 lbs.
For him, it's a tight squeeze. Needless to say he loves it with the top down, but for the hardtop in the winter, really tight.
But he loves to ride in it anyway.
My wife won't let him drive though, so I don't know about being behind the wheel.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Hi Butch:
I'm 6'4" and don't mind it one bit. Although I went from a '56 TBird to a 2002 and the space is the same.
I guess it really depends on how much you plan to drive it. Possibly a daily driver would not be good for you??

Now for some good news. I know of a gal that just moved from CT to upstate NY and now finds she has to sell her 2002 Inspiration Yelllow Bird. Any interest I can hook you up. In fact here's what she said:
"She is a beautiful 2002 Inspiration Yellow Deluxe T-Bird with only 13,380 miles. She does have the hardtop, as well as a yellow steering wheel and shifter. She would love to be sold for $23k"

Last edited:
Hi Butch:
I'm 6'4" and don't mind it one bit. Although I went from a '56 TBird to a 2002 and the space is the same.
I guess it really depends on how much you plan to drive it. Possibly a daily driver would not be good for you??

Now for some good news. I know of a gal that just moved from CT to upstate NY and now finds she has to sell her 2002 Inspiration Yelllow Bird. Any interest I can hook you up. In fact here's what she said:
"She is a beautiful 2002 Inspiration Yellow Deluxe T-Bird with only 13,380 miles. She does have the hardtop, as well as a yellow steering wheel and shifter. She would love to be sold for $23k"

Thanx for input guys. Sounds like a tight squeeze but maybe doable. Thanx for the hot tip George. Unfortunately, yellow is not our preferred color. We are pretty much stuck on black and 03 and later due to the COPS issue. I've been lurking here for a while, searching and learning. The leg/headroom was one thing I did not see mentioned anywhere.

I will scour dealerships in the hopes of trying one out. That is probably my best bet.

Butch:
I hear of quite a few, from owners, who have low mileage but need to sell in this economy. However, none right now are black. Any second choice in color?

BTW, I have a black '02 and keeping it clean can be a chore, here in New England.

Well, black is pretty much our only choice at this point. If finding one long term is an issue maybe we may change direction a bit. Of course there is Merlot, which I understand is a rare color and not easily found. Better stick with black I guess. :) We plan on being very patient buyers, no hurry really with car winter storage season coming up here in a few months, believe it or not. :eek:

We have had black cars before so we give the California car duster a good workout. LOL. Of course, the T would not be driven between Oct & May up here so that will help. I will be retired in 22 days so washing the T every day would be a labour of love. :D

Butch:
First, Congratulations on your retirement. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've retired three times so far, but can't gripe....I love what I do and at 74, I may retire for real this winter.

Anyway, if you avoid the storage costs this year I'm sure that the TBird prices will be down a bit more next year. So it may be worth waiting. OR, you mentioned Merlot, here's one (not mine) that's been cared for very well:

Mileage: 53,000
Engine: V8 3.9 Liter
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: RWD

PRICE- $20,000

Standard - Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, ABS (4-Wheel), Power Steering, AM/FM Stereo, Black Leather, Power Windows, Multi Compact Disc, Dual Power Seats, Power Door Locks, Dual Front Air Bags (with option to turn off passanger air bag), Tilt Wheel, Front Side Air Bags , Power Convertible Top, Reading Lights, Vanity Mirror, Parade Black Boot Cover, All Original Paperwork, Original Window Sticker.

Options - Hard Top, Premium Sound, Premium Wheels, Telescoping Steering, Heated Seats, Dealer Added Keyless Entry, Security Tinted Windows, Cold Air Intake, BORLA Exhaust, Custom Hitch, Rear Window Defrost, Fog Lights, Black Accent Package, Original Exhaust Also.

Merlot Paint, Merlot Soft Top, Merlot Hard Top, Black Interior. 1 of 12 made with this combination. Hard top has been garage stored since vehicle purchase - includes rolling stand and bag cover with factory t-bird tool to remove the hard top and stickers, daily driver.

Newer tires. Garage Kept. Non Smoker. Original Owner with all service paperwork. Serviced at Lincoln Dealer. Owners Manual and 2 FOBS.

Call 727-393-6007 or email WebbSyght@*********. also listed on ebay, autotrader, and craigslist. hate to sell it but have 2 kids and a wife and obviously not enough room. plan is to buy a ford taurus sho, blue, with the performance package, for the room now
Serious buyers only.

Butch,

I am 6'1", 330#. The TBird is more comfortable than my wife's Pacifica. I prefer the top down or hardtop (it has about another 1" of headroom over the convertable top). I had the same concern as you and went to a dealer to sit in one, took a test drive, and brought it home - a triple black too. I agree with George, it's hard to keep clean but it sure looks great.

Good luck. I am retiring in about 60 days.

Ski

Tall

My husband is 6'3" and loves to drive my Bird, however he does not like it for long trips of 200 miles or more. We live in Southern California.

Thanx for input guys. Sounds like a tight squeeze but maybe doable. Thanx for the hot tip George. Unfortunately, yellow is not our preferred color. We are pretty much stuck on black and 03 and later due to the COPS issue. I've been lurking here for a while, searching and learning. The leg/headroom was one thing I did not see mentioned anywhere.

I will scour dealerships in the hopes of trying one out. That is probably my best bet.

Interesting, I heard in my research of Retro Birds that COPS was a 03-05 issue not in 02. Just curious, don't mean to hijack the tread.

E'sBird

You are correct Earl --except,....... It's not that it is not an issue in '02's, it's just not covered under any 100,000 extended Ford, FREE, warranty. We really don't know why:confused:

GHood luck with your Torch Red, '02

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back