Have 2002 can’t get hardtop on

Kpell

Kpell

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Bought a 2002 red bird in Pennsylvania, bought a hardtop from Florida for it, spent over an hour with a neighbor trying to put it on to no avail, any suggestions to help.

Bought a 2002 red bird in Pennsylvania, bought a hardtop from Florida for it, spent over an hour with a neighbor trying to put it on to no avail, any suggestions to help.

It’s probably warped. How was it stored and for how long? Look for another. Sorry. Happened to me too.

I will try again soon, can’t always get help lifting it into position. I watched video, seems like it should just fit right on, but can only get one of front screws to catch threads.

A Ford mechanic showed a little trick for the screw to catch. Sitting in either seat, while pushing up on the screw with the T-handle tool and at the same time with the other hand, pulling down firmly on the top by the pin...it should easily catch. Be sure the tool is seated into the screw head before ss not to waste time and energy.

Make sure the rear levers are fully back before you set the top down.

Tried pushing down on roof while turning screw on second side just won’t line up and catch. I’m going to try setting front first, then the rear if that may work, otherwise that “bigger hammer” sounds good

Have you adjusted the posts to fit. There are three large screws under the trim that will adjust the posts. you need to do this before the top fits properly. The trim should come down rather easily with pry tools. I am able to pop mine off with no trouble. Just be careful not to break off any of the trim tabs. Once those are adjusted you wont have any issues with mounting the top later on. I had to do this with mine when I purchased my top.IMAG0256.jpg

What Gus said, had to do it to mine to take the top off. the top had not been off in a long time and probably shifted. the screws are the same as the hold down screws. Torx,

Thank you both for that information, I will try again next week, if my neighbor is available to help me position it, sounds like it might just work.

And don't lock the rear handles in place until the front is screwed into place...then, fully engage the rear handles to lock it. Read the owners manual.

Have you adjusted the posts to fit. There are three large screws under the trim that will adjust the posts. you need to do this before the top fits properly. The trim should come down rather easily with pry tools. I am able to pop mine off with no trouble. Just be careful not to break off any of the trim tabs. Once those are adjusted you wont have any issues with mounting the top later on. I had to do this with mine when I purchased my top.View attachment 2570
I have no problem with mine , but in case I do, is this pic is from the roof ?

A Ford mechanic showed a little trick for the screw to catch. Sitting in either seat, while pushing up on the screw with the T-handle tool and at the same time with the other hand, pulling down firmly on the top by the pin...it should easily catch. Be sure the tool is seated into the screw head before ss not to waste time and energy.
Yes the tool being deeply seated in the screw head makes a world of difference.

There is also rear adjustments if the front is to far back or two far forward. The adjustment is on the hole where the rear lock fits into. It can be moved forward or back.

Hmmm, something else to consider, thank you, I’m going to give it another “college try” next week, hopefully.

Back