Hardtop or soft top 55-57

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
It's a matter of choice. with the soft top you can always put it up if it starts raining and you always have it with you. Hardtop is nice but you will rarely take it off. Luckly my 55 has both. The toft top is the most useable.

I have both and like to drive with the top down. I use the hard top through the hot months July and August. The soft top will leak in the rain when the car is not moving. Poor fitment. Hard top is a much better fit.

I have an aftermarket soft top that takes two people to install. I would like to acquire a new black soft top with the stainless trim that is identical to the original for a reasonable price. Does anyone have a suggestion? Mike

Hey All
If you had to make a choice of hardtop or soft top for your 55-57 which one would it be?
I have both. It didn't start out that way. Only had hardtop when purchased over 20 years ago. When we got a soft top the hardtop has never been back on. The only time I might consider using the hardtop would be going to a convention or other multi-day trip of long distance. Next year in Flagstaff I will consider it. When we went to Albuquerque we went through a number of short duration but intense rains. The car just gets soake in heavy rain. the hardtop may alleviate some of that. After all is said and done I say softtop. up when needed down when wanted. Part of getting a converitble is to go top down. Have fun, that's my decision.

Agree with soft top. Having just finished a 4,500 mile road trip including the Knoxville convention and despite getting wet in some torrential downpours we would not change to hardtop only. Be prepared to move things from the floor that are susceptible to osmosis from wet carpets !
One thing to mention is security. Soft top gives very little. None really. Please ensure (if you use one) your GPS is always removed along with any valuables. We never had any trouble, just parked carefully and avoided being underneath trees overnight. Birds poop a lot of processed fruit in summer.
Noise with the top down is an issue on interstates. Also, it’s unsafe to pull over and flick the top up if caught out with a shower. We mostly kept off interstates and had a ball all the way. We travelled 90% of our trip with the top down from June to late August. Fold the top carefully to avoid damage to the clear part and rubbing through the inner hood coating on the frame folding sections.
On an extended trip to rolling destinations the hardtop is impractical.

Hey All
If you had to make a choice of hardtop or soft top for your 55-57 which one would it be?
Please include the model year(s) in the subject line as it instructs, when posting to the forum. Thanks for posting.

I have an aftermarket soft top that takes two people to install. I would like to acquire a new black soft top with the stainless trim that is identical to the original for a reasonable price. Does anyone have a suggestion? Mike
There are no reasonable prices. Look for one with the swing arms.That is a must. Unless your car was butchered, all little birds have the mounting studs. If you wish best available look at Jewel's They make the "imho" best replacement that is like original. I have one made by Prestige in SoCal. I bought mine through Concours and it was drop shipped from Prestige. I have had it at least 15 years. It works well and came with necessary swing arms. I offer a caveat. I have seen some from Prestige that were cut a bit short to seal well. Mine is marginal.

Personally I would want to go with the soft top. That way I can enjoy the car to the fullest and have the top in case of inclement weather. My wife, on the other hand, would rather I put on the hardtop and install A/C in the car.

I do all three. Top down, hard top on, soft top up and tonneau cover -depending on weather
and my mood.
I do the same. Hard top on during the winter then hanging from the rafters during warm weather, rag top on if in the mood or for weather. Tonneau on now when in the garage. It's fun to drive when alone with just the driver's side off but if the wife wants a drive just takes a second to take down the passenger side.

Can a soft top be installed on a 1957 that already has a factory-installed tonneau cover?

Hard top but then I'm not a fan of wind and sun (on me). Don't remember the year the hardtop was off........

I really enjoy riding around with the top down. Even in Spring or late Fall when I can turn on the heater if a little chilly. Soild the hardtop - never used it..

I really enjoy riding around with the top down. Even in Spring or late Fall when I can turn on the heater if a little chilly. Soild the hardtop - never used it..
I know what you mean. I'm keeping my hard top as it came with the car when built, Drop it on for the winter and like how quiet it makes the interior. I'm blessed with having a factory tonneau it's fun to drive with just the passenger side up and open the small door on the heater box and blast the heat.

Back