Hardtop in trunk- 2005?

the rainman

the rainman

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I don't have my car delivered to me yet,so this is probably a dumb question, but would the hardtop fit in the trunk? all the way closed or partway with bungi cord holding down trunk lid?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Well I hate to say this, but there is not very much room in the trunk for anything. I think it was designed for a set of golf clubs and those would be a tight fit. A few bags of groceries will fit in there as long as they are not too tall.

I must say however, my wife and I did pack that trunk and spent a week at the cabin in Yosemite. I even managed to get the Keurig in there some how. I have a tall thin wine cooler that we kept behind the seats which was nice.

The hardtop is rather large, weighs about 90 lbs and takes two people to remove. I only use it during the real hot days of summer and the few rainy days in the winter. The rest of the time, it is on the stand taking up a large space in the garage.

"I must say however, my wife and I did pack that trunk and spent a week at the cabin in Yosemite."

Gus, a cabin in Yosemite? You need any new friends? LOL:)

I read once one of the main requirements for the Tbird when designed was that 2 sets of golf clubs were to fit in the trunk. They must of been thinking a couple of sets of clubs for miniature golf, because I have a hard time fitting my single set in their.

The first weekend I had my Tbird I had a family reunion at an Uncles Lake house. I loaded up my little Coleman "Oscar" cooler - I think it was designed to hold maybe 12-15 cans with ice. Went to put it in my new Tbird to go show off and the trunk won't close. The cooler was too tall. The trunk wasn't even deep enough to hold that small cooler.

The point is that trunk isn't going to hold much.

A few years ago when I started thinking of getting a convertible, I gave strong consideration to the Saturn Sky. GM also produced a sister car called the Pontiac Solstice, and there was an Opel version produced as well for the European market. But of the three, I always thought the Sky was the best looking.

I spoke with a few people who owned them, and by and large they were happy with the car and its performance. But when I would ask for the downsides, the number one complaint was "no trunk space". Unlike the retro Tbird, when the Sky's top came down it essentially filled up the trunk. With the top completely down, you could fit a very small duffel on each side of the trunk. Think travel shave kit, or velcro lunchbox size.

Not surprisingly, I heard numerous complaints about how they couldn't take an overnight ride to the beach while enjoying the top down, because they had nowhere to store their things. In fact, that community got kinda creative and many owners obtained a motorcycle trailer to make up for the lack of trunk space. I saw a few on eBay etc. where they had carefully matched the paint colors. Check these out:

upload_2018-9-5_2-39-44.png
upload_2018-9-5_2-41-45.png

The feedback I received stayed with me, and it's the main reason I abandoned the Sky as a consideration. As cool as these trailers look, I just couldn't imagine pulling one.

So before we completely poo poo on the trunk space (or lack thereof) in the retro bird, keep in mind most of us haven't had to resort to this type of stowage. It looks quite spacious by comparison. :)

I fit both my wife's and my set of golf clubs in mine.. And they are not the smaller round weekend bags but rather regular cart bags.. They are not monster bags you would see on tour.. Although I do have to give a little push to close the trunk.. My one set sits fine in the trunk.. I have seen videos where Miata people having to do a puzzle insert where they put the bag in thier trunk but they need to leave the driver and woods out of the bags and place those in separately.. Maybe that's one of the small reasons why the mustang was always more popular.. Welcome to the t-bird club..

Ohhh puhless

Two sets of clubs easily fit.

Cooler- special one available fits behind seats. Currently use one that plugs in to accessory slot and fits well between sears.

Did have trunk rack and pelican case for 1000+ mile trip to Mt Rushmore.
Don’t really need that. The key is flexible bags. 2 big ones and four littler ones and still room for more squeezed in. Use behind seat area. Also stuff light clothing in convertible top well.

Three yearly trips from
Ohio to Florida held enough for two month stay. ( wish wife would have worn more of the 14 pairs of shoes in the one bag. ). Very very doable with correct bags and a little imagination. Hmmmm two seat convertible or maybe a big SUB with sunroof. Enjoy!

Really don't know how you guys can get 2 sets of golf clubs in trunk with no problem. I have enough problem cramming my one set in there.

If you consider the space behind the seats plus the trunk there is adequate room for baggage for two if you travel fairly light. I have a good friend with a Saturn Sky and even with a trunk top luggage carrier it has no room for baggage.

Really don't know how you guys can get 2 sets of golf clubs in trunk with no problem. I have enough problem cramming my one set in there.

When I get home this evening I will put them in a take a photo.. (now that I graduated to a smart phone).. I usually put and tilt the club heads in first and then the bottom of the bag goes in. They go left to right or R to L not back to front.. Both our bags are cart bags so there is no flex legs in the back for stranding up.. That would take up more room.. And like I said I do need to nudge the trunk lid close.. But they do make it..

If you consider the space behind the seats plus the trunk there is adequate room for baggage for two if you travel fairly light. I have a good friend with a Saturn Sky and even with a trunk top luggage carrier it has no room for baggage.

Just as Tommyc Mentioned, I have always loved the looks of the Saturn Sky over the Pontiac Solstice. But their trunks are small.. At least the T-bird has room for a couple over night soft duffle bags and as few odds and ends..

I looked at many convertibles. Only the T lets me pack what I want - including 2 sets golf clubs & luggage for long weekends. I love this trunk & use it daily- easier than reaching down into the passenger compartment. Love this car. Better than my motorcycles with the top down- no helmet!

Here are our two sets of clubs in our bird.. like I said you will have to help the trunk close, but will go..

Attachments

• 20180905_193843.jpg
    20180905_193843.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180905_193852.jpg
    20180905_193852.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180905_193912.jpg
    20180905_193912.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 5
My golf bag has a stand (stand not a cart) which takes up a little more room. I wasn't doubting you when you said you could get 2 bags in there, but it does look like work. LOL:) Where are the shoes and where is the cooler for the most important hole - the 19th? I never use my boot so it is always in the trunk taking up some room too.

My golf bag has a stand (stand not a cart) which takes up a little more room. I wasn't doubting you when you said you could get 2 bags in there, but it does look like work. LOL:) Where are the shoes and where is the cooler for the most important hole - the 19th? I never use my boot so it is always in the trunk taking up some room too.

I needed an excuse to use my new smart phone camera.. :) Man I use to have to take out the big gun to shoot a photo before as all I had was a flip phone a few weeks ago.. I would have to download the image drag it through adobe bridge then save as a jpg.. I always shoot raw.. Now it's click and send... It's almost not like work.. :)

The shoes can fit in the nook to the back of the trunk.. But I have a pair of Addis golf shoes that got those 1/4 inch studs on them.. Addis says you can wear then any where, which I usually just put them on at home and wear them in the car.. Yes, our bird is a 2002 so the boot is the hard one that only folds in 1/2 which really takes up the whole trunk.. So I'm pretty much a fair weather golfer.. I know the flex legs would take up a lot more room.. I'm still looking around for the weekend bags (if that's what they are called)..They were smaller in diameter and had half the pouches as the bags of today.. It would give a little more room.. maybe I could stick a soft 4 pack cooler in there also.. Mind you only with non alcohol beverages.. :) Ya right.. Oh ya, need room for gars also..

IMG_1593.JPG
I don't have my car delivered to me yet,so this is probably a dumb question, but would the hardtop fit in the trunk? all the way closed or partway with bungi cord holding down trunk lid?
I would not recommend trying to store the hardtop in your trunk even with a bungee cord. The rear deck which covers the folded convertible top is rather fragile and could be easily damaged. In addition the exposed alignment pins can easily damage anything they come in contact with when you hit say a bump in the road. They also are the electrical connection for the rear window defroster so if you were to damage one of them you would find your rear defrost inoperable. Better to use the roller cart for long term removal or for short term removal (say a few days) you could do as I do, which is suspend the top in a hanger system from my ceiling winch. (Photo attached).

Steve, I'm still using the flip phone. Still haven't upgraded to the smart phone - I'm afraid if I do I might turn out to be one of those people who sit at the bar and stare into their phone all day. :)

When I play I walk, but I only play 9 holes. I've started dropping clubs out of the bag to lighten the load, I'm down to less than 10 clubs now, so I can go to a smaller bag.

And I don’t recommend the hanging method of storage either. That’s how mine warped. It was up there for a little over a year. Not sure how long it took to warp, but it wouldn’t seal. Had to throw it away. No body shop had any idea how to de-warp it.

Back