Hard Top Rattles on 04 T-Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.
R
Last seen
I just purchased a 2004 T-Bird and the hard top rattles all the time. It seems to be properly installed but with body give, the top groans and rattles. Anyone have any suggestions?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just purchased a 2004 T-Bird and the hard top rattles all the time. It seems to be properly installed but with body give, the top groans and rattles. Anyone have any suggestions?

I never had this issue, but found this posted elsewhere with good results:

HARD TOP ADJUSTMENT TIPS

"For those of you having problems installing the hard top, don't forget you can pull the plastic piece off the front of the hardtop to adjust the pins. Pull the plastic piece straight out from both sides, don't hesitate it is not going to break. After removing the plastic piece, use your hard top tool to loosen the 3 screws just enough to allow the front pins to slide freely. Lift the hardtop onto the car letting the back pins drop in freely, then guide the front pins into the holes on the front windshield. The pins will still be loose, so the top front pins should slide in easily. After your top is secure, retighten the 3 screws on each side and push the long plastic piece back into it's slots. Then follow the instructions for hardtop installation now that you have the top sitting securely on the car.
You really shouldn't ever have to do this again in the following years, because the adjustment you just made should be a perfect fit.
This adjustment works well for all those you with a hard top rattle also."

"HINT:
No picture necessary. It's the plastic header. Where the soft upholstery of the inner roof of the hardtop meets (stops) at the front near the windshield, that's it. Once you've removed it, (it's held in place by sturdy clips) you will see the three screws on the left and right sides you can loosen. Once loosened, you can move the receptors for the single screws into alignment with the single screws that hold the hardtop in place. Tighten the single screws on both sides, then tighten the three screws on both sides. Voila', the hardtop is now custom-fitted to your car."

Hope the above helps you.

Here is something else to look for. Must lift the top to do this.
The top has a post that inserts into a hole behind each seat. The driver side has a plastic insert at the top of the hole on the body side. That insert is easy to dislodge when removing the top and it frequently falls into the open area under the hole. That insert acts as a spacer and if it is missing, the top will rattle. This is a common occurance. If that is your problem, you can get a replacement at Ford. Part number is 1W6Z-7650611-AA. I lost mine and purchased an extra as a spare when I replaced it.
The passenger side does not use a spacer but it has a similar piece that privides the electrical connection to the top to power the rear window heater. It will not pop out as easy as the driver side.

Hard top Rattles.

Top should be installed with a tape that reduces rattle. What I found worked best was adding the hardtop trim from Thunderbird Concepts. I like the looks and it stops the hard top rattle.

https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/reardeck.htm

the rubber gasket on the rear of the top dries out and makes a lot of groaning noise. there is a lubricant specially made for the gaskets that works great. its sold at most o'reillys and the like. that may be all you need.

Here is something else to look for. Must lift the top to do this.
The top has a post that inserts into a hole behind each seat. The driver side has a plastic insert at the top of the hole on the body side. That insert is easy to dislodge when removing the top and it frequently falls into the open area under the hole. That insert acts as a spacer and if it is missing, the top will rattle. This is a common occurance. If that is your problem, you can get a replacement at Ford. Part number is 1W6Z-7650611-AA. I lost mine and purchased an extra as a spare when I replaced it.
The passenger side does not use a spacer but it has a similar piece that privides the electrical connection to the top to power the rear window heater. It will not pop out as easy as the driver side.

Great,
I just realized that not only do I have a rattle with the hard top on.
The plastics insert for the driver side is mia?
I need on of those, on the passenger side I have two wires hanging loose, I assume these should plug into a electrical connector that makes contact when putting the hardtop on?
I am missing both pieces!
Can anyone help with the part no for the electrical connector on the passenger side?

Great,
I just realized that not only do I have a rattle with the hard top on.
The plastics insert for the driver side is mia?
I need on of those, on the passenger side I have two wires hanging loose, I assume these should plug into a electrical connector that makes contact when putting the hardtop on?
I am missing both pieces!
Can anyone help with the part no for the electrical connector on the passenger side?

Hi Mike....Did you ever get a reply on this part??

Ford #1W6Z-7650611-AA This is the driver side hardtop spacer.

Just sold the two extra that I bought. Available on Ebay periodically. When you get one, it just snaps in place but I'd recommend a drop or two of glue!

Hi....Thanks for the reply. I will keep looking and hope one turns up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi....Thanks for the suggestion. I have put my order in for a notice if one turns up. My fingers are crossed.

Hi....Thanks for the suggestion. I have put my order in for a notice if one turns up. My fingers are crossed.

You might want to take the hardtop off and look down at the bottom of the top well where the spacer has probably fallen.

My 02 red T Bird was missing the black plastic hardtop spacer, so I ordered one from a member
here and received today and installed it. Well I almost dropped it down in the convertible well
but didn't and got it installed, it only installs one way.

Well I decided to get a good flashlight and look down in the well real good, and there was the
original missing one. Took a long reach tool to get it, but I did and it is in perfect shape.

Others missing theirs may want to look down in the well real good. My missing one looked
like it had been down there for 10 plus years.top spacer.JPG lost spacer.JPG

When I lost my 1st one and bought a replacement I too saw how easily this spacer can detach as the hard top pin comes up out of it's receiver. I applied some Super Glue to the spacer and have not lost the spacer since.
This was back at least 10 years ago. Since my 05 is our daily driver, in November the HT goes on & is removed in April. So there is always the possibility it will fall back down into never never land again, but so far the glue is holding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back