Guesstimates Needed - 55 Barn Find Value ?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
V
Last seen
hi
I am going, in a week or so, to look at a 1955 TBird that has been stored in a barn since 1970. At that time it was running and in decent shape.

It has the hard top.

From what I gather, any interior and convertible top are shot, paint poor, chrome gone but the basic car all there.

Not sure that it has the original motor...some similar Y block though.

Anyone wish to offer a value range of what it is worth?? I don't believe the owner has done much thinking on this, only that he has decided he does not wish to restore it.

thanks for your time!
John

Personally John I don't think it has much value.
Long term storag is good for mileage but not for seals that tend to dry up, so there's an expense there to think about.
1955 is a 6V system and not 12V - To me 12V is more desireable. Of course it can be changed over. BTW, storage may also invite mice who like to eat wire casings and upholstery/carpets.
Hardtops go for around $1500.
New interiors and chrome are expensive so be prepared. And ofcourse old tires will be dry rotted.

A decent restoration will run about $25-30,000. A do-it-yourself, much less and lots of time

Sight unseen I would guess $1500 to $2000 - But if you're not handy there are plenty of decent 55-57's out there from $15 to 30K. So think hard on this.

Guessestimate

It's very hard to put any numbers on this car as you describe it. But here are some things to consider. Above all else, the condition of the body. Check the fit of the doors to the body If the doors sag and generally don't fit the opening you can be almost certain the sills [rockers] and floor are badly rusted and will need to be replaced. Make sure you get under the car and examine it closely. All of this can be fixed but it will cost big bucks. If you are not prepared to deal with this don't walk, run away from this one. There are better ones out there and in the long run they will be less expensive. If the numbers don't match the value is seriously effected. If it hasn't run in 30-35 years plan on replacing all the brakes especially the lines. If gas was left in the tank don't bother trying to start the engine until you replace the tank and lines and change all the cars fluids. The point I'm trying to make is don't buy a $10k car that needs $30k in repairs only to fetch $20k to $25k when you go to sell it unless you REALLY enjoy doing restorations.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Bruce...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back