Getting the brake fluid cap off 1957

Beseeingyou

Beseeingyou

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have had the car for a year (1957) and thought I'd check the brake fluid. I put a cresent wrench on the reservoir cap but the cap would not budge. First, should I check it ( opening creates issues?) and second - off is lefty loosey - correct?
Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

I have had the car for a year (1957) and thought I'd check the brake fluid. I put a cresent wrench on the reservoir cap but the cap would not budge. First, should I check it ( opening creates issues?) and second - off is lefty loosey - correct?

Absolutely, check the brake fluid. Make sure the area around the cap is clean. Given that the cap is so hard to unscrew, it probably has not been off in awhile, who knows what you might find in there. And yes: righty tighty, lefty loosey. When viewed from the top, the cap loosens by turning it counter clockwise. I would suggest a box end wrench (and maybe a cheater for a little extra leverage) as opposed to a crescent wrench, so as to not round off the corners of the hex.

Good luck,
Doug Lemmo
White 57

Absolutely, check the brake fluid. Make sure the area around the cap is clean. Given that the cap is so hard to unscrew, it probably has not been off in awhile, who knows what you might find in there. And yes: righty tighty, lefty loosey. When viewed from the top, the cap loosens by turning it counter clockwise. I would suggest a box end wrench (and maybe a cheater for a little extra leverage) as opposed to a crescent wrench, so as to not round off the corners of the hex.

Good luck,
Doug Lemmo
White 57
Doug, thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. A box wrench is a great suggestion. Much appreciated!
Rick

Agree with Douglemmo. I'm not familiar with what the top looks like on that car, but another possibility might be to use an oil filter wrench, one of those that constricts as you twist it.

Agree with Douglemmo. I'm not familiar with what the top looks like on that car, but another possibility might be to use an oil filter wrench, one of those that constricts as you twist it.
Thanks, 64zcode! I should add one of those twist filter wrenches to my tool stock. Box is probably best now but I can see future uses for that wrench. Thanks for your help!

Please include the model year in your title when posting. I added this for you.

Any update? the suspense is killing me
A pair of channel lock players works well to. My 57 has a plastic cap and looks original, so it is probably just a little too tight.

A pair of channel lock players works well to. My 57 has a plastic cap and looks original, so it is probably just a little too tight.
Thanks for thinking of me! Other stuff got in the way and I needed SAE wrenches cuz my others are metric. Thanks to Amazon I now have a set and I’ll let you know in the next day or so. Too tight has to be the answer.... thanks again...

Hi and following up. I got the box wrench and the cap came off without much drama. The fluid is at level and clean so i’m Good. The shallow threads mean cross threading is a potential villain. I was very careful engaging the threads. Don’t expect to do this often. Thanks to all you helpmates for the assist!

On my ‘64 the reservoir is metal so you can’t see fluid level without removing the lid. I’ve always kept a close lookout on my cars for signs of brake fluid leakage around the master, at the wheels etc. but I completely missed it when the reservoir on the ‘64 leaked into the booster and the brakes went spongy. I’ve heard of this happening to others and causing brake failure. So checking reservoir fluid level once a month or so is SOP for me now.

A plastic cap was not original on the '57. I'm surprised somebody found one. My cap was on so tight I mangled the nut on top getting it off but I eventually did but had to buy a new cap. Put a little PB Blaster oil on the threads to prevent them from freezing up again.

You can buy original steel caps from the tbird parts people if wanted. Just to make sure the opening is the same.

Back