Generalizations regarding my 2004 Bird

Steve 1949
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have two or three issues that I wanted to address here in the this forum hoping I can get some advice and find out if anyone else have faced the same issues.
My Thunderbird has been a very good car and has just turned over 100,000 miles recently. Some years mileage has been more than others; however the last two or three have seen very few miles put on the car and considering it's age it is still low mileage considering the care it has received.
Having said all of that I have the following issues that have basically begun this past year with a couple getting worse and I wanted to throw these out there to see if any of you have had these experiences with your Birds.

1. Climate Control fan wants to run on high all the time and just doesn't cut off when you turn it off. It will actually continue to run with the ignition completely off for 2-3 minutes at times. Seems to me that probably the control switch may need to be totally replaced. Your thoughts?

2. Hardtop and Convertible top both leak and I can't seem to find replacement seals to put on them, can anyone help?

3. Door ajar light in the dash will not go off for the left door and I have replaced one sensor related to the issue which did not fix the problem. What's next?

4. Air conditioning compressor working fine however not cooling as it should and the coolant level is fine. What other things have been issues regarding this system that might help me diagnose this problem?

Thanks in advance for all input it will be greatly appreciated. I have been fighting Cancer for the last 7 years and therefore I remain somewhat ill and physically debilitated and I don't want to trust just the dealership to give me the correct advice on these problems without exploring to some degree first. Money is not plentiful after a 7 yr battle with this disease so I will need all the help I can get.

Thanks again,
Steve 1949

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have two or three issues that I wanted to address here in the this forum hoping I can get some advice and find out if anyone else have faced the same issues.
My Thunderbird has been a very good car and has just turned over 100,000 miles recently. Some years mileage has been more than others; however the last two or three have seen very few miles put on the car and considering it's age it is still low mileage considering the care it has received.
Having said all of that I have the following issues that have basically begun this past year with a couple getting worse and I wanted to throw these out there to see if any of you have had these experiences with your Birds.

1. Climate Control fan wants to run on high all the time and just doesn't cut off when you turn it off. It will actually continue to run with the ignition completely off for 2-3 minutes at times. Seems to me that probably the control switch may need to be totally replaced. Your thoughts?

2. Hardtop and Convertible top both leak and I can't seem to find replacement seals to put on them, can anyone help?

3. Door ajar light in the dash will not go off for the left door and I have replaced one sensor related to the issue which did not fix the problem. What's next?

4. Air conditioning compressor working fine however not cooling as it should and the coolant level is fine. What other things have been issues regarding this system that might help me diagnose this problem?

Thanks in advance for all input it will be greatly appreciated. I have been fighting Cancer for the last 7 years and therefore I remain somewhat ill and physically debilitated and I don't want to trust just the dealership to give me the correct advice on these problems without exploring to some degree first. Money is not plentiful after a 7 yr battle with this disease so I will need all the help I can get.

Thanks again,
Steve 1949
RE: #3 above Door Ajar light. Those sensors are different for each door. Right and Left are different part numbers. I also found that when I replaced one of my sensors, it did not work. I instead cleaned up the old sensor, re-installed it and it worked fine. Good luck.

Thanks again,
Steve 1949
Cool But Not Cold
Steve
I copied this from an Autozone site and thought it might be of help to you.
Hope this helps.

If the air conditioning is set to max cool and fans on high, but is only blowing moderately cool air:

Check the pressures in the system using a manifold gauge set. The recommended high-side and low-side pressures can be found in the repair manual.

Thanks again,
Steve 1949
Not sure which seals you are looking for but Autozone carries 02-05 thunderbird weatherstrip

Back