Fixing the slop in my shift linkage on a 1969 tbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey guys is there any way I can fix the linkage on my 69 tbird? It's very sloppy and loose and sometimes when I first got it it would actually fall into reverse! I have since adjusted it a bit to prevent falling into reverse, but its still pretty bad now! Any suggestions?

It’s likely the nylon bushings on the linkage where it connects to the transmission. Once you’re under the car, find the linkage. I believe it’s on the drivers side of the trans. The bushings will be missing or broken causing play in the shift lever.

That part is gone. It’s just metal to metal. Also those bushings are the wrong ones. I tried them and they don’t fit the diameter of the shaft coming across from the column.

Hey, OneAmongOthers

I have the exact same problem, did you ever find the correct bushings?

Hey, OneAmongOthers

I have the exact same problem, did you ever find the correct bushings?
There is no correct bushing. The way it worked originally was on the bracket attached to the trans where the shaft from the shift linkage tha came across from the column and went into the bracket as a metal bushing/bearing pressed set into the bracket.
B80B0F9C-7146-4DA6-BA4F-6AE36157A6D8.jpeg
Here is the bracket that came off the transmission. Notice the larger diameter hole on the one side. This was from that bearing/bushing that was pressed into this bracket had fell out or just disingrated and the shaft reamed out the inner diameter of the hole. Now as far as I am concerned you and I have a couple choices. First you rip out the column shifter and put a floor shifter in your car. Well... that’s only if you got the bench seat. If you have the buckets with center console you can’t really do that.

So my second suggestion is to take that bracket off and take it to a local machine shop. Take off the shifter linkage too so you have the rod that goes into it and show them. They should be able to fabricate something to work to take the slop out of your linkage and tighten things up. Otherwise I would find a bushing and just modify it to fit on that bracket. I haven’t found any luck finding OEM replacements.

Attachments

• DCCFCB17-4C06-4738-96B8-D9ACA12C7BAE.jpeg
    DCCFCB17-4C06-4738-96B8-D9ACA12C7BAE.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 0
I am going to be taking it all back off and see what I can do. There is a few machine shops around so I’d hope they came rig up something.

Back