first time owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
R
Last seen
Bought my first t-bird. 55 stored for last 40 years on jackstands in doors. Automatic, power everything. Very complete and solid but needs restored. We will drive this car and I want to keep largely original but what are recommended improvements/alterations to make drive better and dependable? Whats the best source of information/articles etc. Wide open for suggestions. I will do all the work myself. Excited to get going!!!:)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Welcome on board with your new baby bird purchase. there ae some good resources out there but i would keep in mind http://www.tbird.org/ as well as CASCO who i recommend for parts. they cant be beat at http://www.classictbird.com/ you have already decide to go over to 12vt. good choice you wont be sorry you did. i also because i drive my 57 went to an alternator over the generator since i don't like the dimming i get when i slowed down and the hassle of setting the generator. front disk breaks are a good choice but there is some problems with them especially the non stock look. A good set of Kelsy Hayse rims always set off the bird or if you like hot rodding more there is always the the torque star rims but they came out in 56 not 55. amos minter makes a good a/c unit which is supplied through casco and most tbird suppliers. an electric fan on the front pushing air through is a must for slow driving. i have mine hooked up to a on of switch so i controll when it comes on as i overheated in 2003 at the route 66 in san berdoo California because we were moving so slow. on the subject of heat use a nice heat diverted over your exhaust and under your carpet these will help keep the cab allot cooler and don't show so it wont gig you in points if you show it but make all the diffrence in keeping it from making your backside sweat to much. have your engine rebuilt by these guys or get the parts from them http://www.ford-y-block.com/ hope this helps.

new owner

Thanks for the advice. I have the car pretty much torn apart and no bad surprises. I need to replace the bottom of the right door post and part of the inner and outer rocker but that is the only rust.

So, recommend the electric fan instead of the 6 blade fan as a better way to cool? I did plan on putting the foil under the carpet and use the Casco muffler shields. I will probably wrap the exhaust pipes from the header to the front of the muffler.

I discovered I have a 57 intake and carb, so will probably just stick with that combination to improve driveability. Otherwise going to keep as stock as possible. Target is to have it own the road before my wifes 50th birthday in January.

The Y block page i gave you now has a nice aluminum intake so that might be something to look at under red engine paint they all pretty much look the same. Yes go with the 57 carb better than the teapot. I definatly recomend the electric fan the 6 blade wont pull enough air through for slow driving as the rpms are to low. rust sucks but you have to deal with it thank god there are some patch panels for the worst of places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back