Exhaust manifold bolt broke off in head!

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Trying to remove my exhaust manifolds to replace them resulted in one of the bolts on the drivers side to snap off! Well just the head. About an inch and a half or so of the bolt stud is sticking out of the head.

You think it would be alright to just put the manifold back on with the remaining bolts just to get it to a shop so they can remove it? I tried as best as I could myself, but I am scared if I torque it too much the rest of the bolt will snap off. I am trying to not have to remove the head.

Best way is remove the exhaust manifold completely and if you have the equipment, weld a nut on the remainder of the stud. Let it cool then heat up the head around the stud with a torch and then wrench it off. Better to have it on a lift if you can. So yes to your question if you don't have the equipment, fine to put together and take it to a shop.

By the way, if your going to pull the engine anyway and rebuild it just have it done then.

Engine is discombobulation of stuff. Block casting is D9T3-AB. Heads were changed and I don't really have a casting for them. DOAE I believe. Intake is DOVE. With a Holley Carb on it. Still runs off points. Hell the exhaust manifolds where from different years! Passenger side was from the 70's and the drivers was 60's.

By the way, if your going to pull the engine anyway and rebuild it just have it done then.
And yes I eventually plan on an engine rebuild. Transmission was already rebuilt so engine will be eventually too

Back