Engine light - Error code P0402 help

JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2004 Bird, 3.9 L V-8, 130K miles; engine light is showing. Error code is P0402, indicating a problem in the exhaust system. Read online of several possible causes - DPFE mentioned frequently as being the culprit. Anyone know where it is located on the motor? And what it looks like?

Thanks for any help. Cheers

Advance Auto advised that DPFE means the EGR valve, which is on top of the motor right in front - easy to R&R. I filled the tank with gas, drove 10 miles, engine light still on. Went into Advance Auto and got a new valve. Back into the car, started, backed out and noticed that the engine light was no longer illuminated. Easiest fix ever. Will keep the new EGR for a few days and see if the error repeats or not. Hmmmm. Like it knew! I think Henry is messing with me from the grave!

Thinking that I got a good price on the EGR valve that I may just keep it for whenever I need it. List $93, paid $74.
Do they fail often? Better than money in the bank if it will be needed in the next few years,,,,,

If you ever want to read your own codes, you can buy an OBDII reader and get an app on your phone. This one is on sale today for 8.67 and free shipping with promotional code UW5INAJT and works with Android phones http://amzn.to/2saO2qv

If you ever want to read your own codes, you can buy an OBDII reader and get an app on your phone. This one is on sale today for 8.67 and free shipping with promotional code UW5INAJT and works with Android phones http://amzn.to/2saO2qv

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy J3 with NO data. Still work? My garage is within my Wifi range - work with my Kendall or Dell? Appreciate your help - this stuff is > pay grade!

Thx, JW
cleardot.gif

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy J3 with NO data. Still work? My garage is within my Wifi range - work with my Kendall or Dell? Appreciate your help - this stuff is > pay grade!

Thx, JW
cleardot.gif
It will work with no data.

Got it. Tried to locate the socket that I saw the auto parts guy use but could not see or feel it. I do not contort very well. May have to get a grandson to find it.

Ques, once we locate it, is it okay to leave the OBDII reader plugged in constantly?

Thx for your help. JW

Soon as I restarted the bird after buying the new EGR, the light went out. Go figger. Got a big discount on it so just put it in the trunk like insurance - hope I don't need it. Probably just a spec of carbon was in the valve and was expelled. Good luck.

How difficult? Sorry, I did not reply to that. As stated, have not replaced the EGR, but the new one came with just two screws, so it can't be that hard. Still no more trouble with mine.

RE Tbird's suggestion: "buy an OBDII reader and get an app on your phone", I did that but did not get it to pair with my android phone. Waiting on g.son. Meantime, I bought a complete reader for $14 from Tophatter. Lots of them on there. Just got it and have not tried it yet. Comes with a book of all codes.

How difficult? Sorry, I did not reply to that. As stated, have not replaced the EGR, but the new one came with just two screws, so it can't be that hard. Still no more trouble with mine.

RE Tbird's suggestion: "buy an OBDII reader and get an app on your phone", I did that but did not get it to pair with my android phone. Waiting on g.son. Meantime, I bought a complete reader for $14 from Tophatter. Lots of them on there. Just got it and have not tried it yet. Comes with a book of all codes.

You can use any reader that is compatible with your phone- Example- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJPHEBO/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Got it. Tried to locate the socket that I saw the auto parts guy use but could not see or feel it. I do not contort very well. May have to get a grandson to find it.

Ques, once we locate it, is it okay to leave the OBDII reader plugged in constantly?

Thx for your help. JW
Underside of dash, drivers side. You'll see it.

It's under the drivers side close to the console.

Back