Engine Cleanup

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Recently had radiator hose blowout and now have much residue on parts of the engine and bay areas, I tried a degreaser but did not get much of it off. Anyone know of a cleaner product that will do the job?

image.png I use armorall tire foam cleaner. Get engine warm then spray all over engine. Shut hood drive car for 5 minutes. Park car open hood and spray again. This is the same stuff the car dealers use to make it look like engine and parts are new. Nice thing it has silicone polymers that also protect any electronic parts. It also cleans all plastic, rubber and metal parts. You will be totally amazed. I use this on my classic cars for car shows. This stuff after only one coating will keep your engine looking brand new for months. Heres a pic attached. Make sure you buy this exact kind. Give me feedback. I know you will be happy. Phil

so far so good, looking better; when you apply 2nd spray, do you hose down afterward or wipe away some of the runnings?

No need to wash down. The foam is a cleaner. I usually apply on warm engine, drive around block and re-apply after i shut down engine then shut the hood. As i said before this stuff is awesome cheap and remarkable and keeps your engine clean and protcted for 4-6 months looking clean and new. So what you think? Phil

No need to wash down. The foam is a cleaner. I usually apply on warm engine, drive around block and re-apply after i shut down engine then shut the hood. As i said before this stuff is awesome cheap and remarkable and keeps your engine clean and protcted for 4-6 months looking clean and new. So what you think? Phil
ok, thx

I just grabbed a few cans and plan on trying once our rain stops. I searched and noticed the price varied from $3.98 up to $11.95 a can and even more some places. Big difference in price I thought but I found the one for $3.98 at Home Depot (strange by yes) I looked on line and it told me that it was located in isle 10 at the store near me. Isle 10 was in the tools but there it was and they had several cans.

I use Simple Green to degrease all engines , get a gallon jug ,put it in a garden sprayer full strength , just spray it all over the engine compartment and rinse with a hose . I do all my cars and school bus engines several times a year this way .

I have used for years on motorcycles car engines and does the best job. Get S100 cleaner at Amazon or motorcycle shop. You can spray on paint also . Cleans like you have seen.

41q8P5BTUHL._SY400_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When spraying off with water hose is there any part you would need to cover with plastic, sucha as electronic sensors?

I would never hose down 2002-2005 Thunderbird engines with water as it will into the coil on plugs (COPS), and you will have more work to do to get it back running smoothly.

KEEP WATER OUT OF YOUR ENGINE BAY!!!

I thought the COP's are sealed under the covers. I took the intake cover off my 2002 and I don't see any coils or ignition wires. I would cover the wiring connectors before spraying the engine.

Hi.
I have been using Castrol Superclean to wash my cars engine compartments. Similar thing, spray on and hose off, does a nice job. I will have to try Armour all.
I also use baby wipes to clean the engine compartment and interior on show cars. Tougher than paper towels and gentle on the skin...
As far as water goes, most everything is sealed, but don't blast gallons of water into the alternator, just hose it off gently, then start the car and let it dry. I have not had any problems doing this.

John

I just purchased a 2003. I'm taking it in to have it detailed. Is it safe to have them detail the engine or should I steer clear of that?

I used tire foam (1st saw from another thread); covered all electrical fittings; spray liberally and just let dry by itself. made my 03 look great

View attachment 1524 I use armorall tire foam cleaner. Get engine warm then spray all over engine. Shut hood drive car for 5 minutes. Park car open hood and spray again. This is the same stuff the car dealers use to make it look like engine and parts are new. Nice thing it has silicone polymers that also protect any electronic parts. It also cleans all plastic, rubber and metal parts. You will be totally amazed. I use this on my classic cars for car shows. This stuff after only one coating will keep your engine looking brand new for months. Heres a pic attached. Make sure you buy this exact kind. Give me feedback. I know you will be happy. Phil

Airpirate is absolutely right in his directions for using Armorall Tire Foam Cleaner to detail an engine bay. I had read about the process and decided to try it on my Dad's 2008 Lincoln Town Car prior to selling it for him. While the car had a mere 31,000 miles on it, there was 10 tears worth of dirt and dust under the hood. Ford / Lincoln dealers refused to detail the engine bay because they had bad experiences using traditional degreasers with a pressure wash rinse on the 4.6L V-8. Using the same directions as provided by you, I was able to detail under the hood with no ill effects and not a lot of effort. I would highly recommend this process, and will use it on my 2004 Thunderbird when required.IMG_0143(1).JPG

Back