2002 2003 2004 2005 Power window calibration problem

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
carlimann
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We have got some of the electrical issues repaired today. I remember, that the problems with the side windows began after mounting the hardtop. Maybe we did something wrong. When the windows were up and we opened the doors, the windows lowered a bit, but didˋnt go back up again, when we closed the doors again. When opening the doors the next time, again the windows lowered a bit, but didˋnt go back up when closing the doors. At the end, the windows were down all the way and didˋnt go up again. What we noticed too: when opening and closing the doors, we hear a noise from below the rear window. Sounds like something hydraulic or electric. Like the softtop that wants to open or close, but canˋt, because the hardtop is on.
Has anybody had a similar problem? Thanks!

We have got some of the electrical issues repaired today. I remember, that the problems with the side windows began after mounting the hardtop. Maybe we did something wrong. When the windows were up and we opened the doors, the windows lowered a bit, but didˋnt go back up again, when we closed the doors again. When opening the doors the next time, again the windows lowered a bit, but didˋnt go back up when closing the doors. At the end, the windows were down all the way and didˋnt go up again. What we noticed too: when opening and closing the doors, we hear a noise from below the rear window. Sounds like something hydraulic or electric. Like the softtop that wants to open or close, but canˋt, because the hardtop is on.
Has anybody had a similar problem? Thanks!

Try lowering both windows all the way. Hold for about a minute, then raise the windows all the way. Then open the door to see if the window goes down and close it to see if the window goes back up like it should. These instructions are in the owners manual as well. If you can't get the window to go all the way down, try raising the window and holding the button for a minute or so to see if that works. Also, have you checked fuses?

Roll both windows down at the same time keep the buttons pressed for 10 seconds after they are all the way down. Roll both windows up at the same time again hold the buttons down for 10 seconds after the windows are all the way up. Do not release the buttons during this process or you will need to start over If you have a door ajar light on the cluster when the doors are closed you have a bad door switch and the window will not close, it will go down. Good luck.

Last night passenger window stopped 1/4" drop when opening door. Anyone else experience this and what was the problem. This makes closing the door impossible till window is lowered first.

Attached is page 58 of the 2002 Thunderbird Owners Manual that describes the short drop glass calibration procedure.

Proper operation of the short drop glass requires that the windows be calibrated. Though your windows will have been calibrated before your vehicle is delivered to you, it is possible for the windows to lose calibration. If a window loses its calibration, your short drop feature will lower the window, but will not raise it again when the door is closed. To re-calibrate the window, press the up switch to raise the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2 seconds. Another possible effect of lost calibration is that the feature may not lower the window. To re-calibrate the window in this case, lower the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2 seconds. Immediately after releasing the window down switch, press the up switch to raise the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2 seconds.
Screenshot_20200904-161810_Drive.jpg

CCB. Thank you for the info. Module Masters said still $200 & that they can fix my speedo light issue but that my driver's window dropping down when door opened (normal) but NOT going back up (oops) they could not repair. I think I need to test out the functions of the car before I send in FEM. My bird is Thunderbird Blue with 25,000 miles also. I bought it in 2017 with 23,000. Obviously I have too many cars.
Your windows going down when opening the door, but not going back up when it is closing is likely due to them losing calibration, likely due to your battery issues. The procedure is in the owners manual. Press the up switch to raise the window until it stops and hold it for 2 seconds.

Your windows going down when opening the door, but not going back up when it is closing is likely due to them losing calibration, likely due to your battery issues. The procedure is in the owners manual. Press the up switch to raise the window until it stops and hold it for 2 seconds.
NickTbird: Thank you for your window calibration information. I had actually found the info in the owners manual myself (amazing what you can learn using your first grade acquired skills (reading). I bought my 2002 Thunderbird Blue "bird" with 23,600 miles in 2017 and had heard stories about failing engines. There was another identical "Bird" here in Cape Coral owned by the President of the local Rotary Club. I tracked him down and he reported that he had 145,000 on his as the original owner without any problems. I now have 24,800 miles and no problems except for the speedometer lights and a "False Problem" with the window. Thanks again for your help!!!

the passenger window will not go down most of the tim. Is this an adjustment?. If so How?

I have a slight nuance to this problem on my 2004. The passenger window will raise to about 1/2 inch from fully up. Opening and closing the door activates the short drop down and up as it should, however not to fully up. I've tried the manual calibration procedures to no effect. Any additional insights?

When operating correctly the window drops a fraction to clear the materall overlaping from the top when the door is opened or closed. My 2003 t-bird does this occassionally. When the window doesn't drop it hits the convertable top material and the door doesn't close properly. There is not only a security issue but also a possibility of the window breaking.
I had it in for service and was told that the electronic module was going out. The dealership which has a severe communication problem told me it was the window controller which they replaced for $600+. As I said it occassionally acts up. When I bring it back to the dealership it works, so they roll their eyes and tell me there is nothing wrong with it. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

When I bring it back to the dealership it works, so they roll their eyes and tell me there is nothing wrong with it. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?
If the window just needs calibration using the procedure described in the owners manual or in this thread, you will know they don't know thier butt from a hole in the ground.

When I worked at the dealership, one of the hardest things to diagnose and repair was an intermittent problem that wasn’t occurring when the customer brought the car in for service. However, we also knew what components had a high failure rate and could cause an intermittent problem.

You stated that the dealership replaced a control module for $600.00. Which control module did they replace? Was it the Front Electronic Module (F.E.M.) or the Rear Electronic Control Module (R.E.M.)? Which window are you having a problem with; left, right or both?

The FEM receives inputs and delivers outputs to a majority of the electronically controlled features which reside primarily in the front of the vehicle, including the LH power window. The REM receives inputs and delivers outputs to a majority of the electronically controlled features which reside primarily in the rear of the vehicle, including the RH power window. The FEM and the REM are configurable modules and must be correctly configured to the vehicle. The FEM and the REM do not have any optional window control configurations.

Some of the Most Common Problems caused by a defective F.E.M. are:

* Dash Illumination Problems (No Dash Light, No Shifter Light)
* Head lights not working: Head Lights not turned on
* Front Turn Signal Problems. (In some cases is not related to F.E.M.)
* Window does not drop when door open. (Driver Side)
* No Wipers, No Horn. Oil light is on
* Convertible Top not working properly
* Power Steering is stiff: Code C1925
* Shift interlock malfunction.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

When putting top down, passenger window goes down 5 to 6 inches instead of 1”. Thoughts on what needs repair. Thx

hello,
put the window down, wait 3 seconds while remaining pressed on the buton, put the window top, wait 3 seconds while remaining on the buton.
I do that every spring after reconnecting the battery.
Best regards

On page 58 of your owner's manual it states:

Proper operation of the short drop glass requires that the windows be calibrated. Though your windows will have been calibrated before your vehicle is delivered to you, it is possible for the windows to lose calibration. If a window loses its calibration, your short drop feature will lower the window, but will not raise it again when the door is closed. To re-calibrate the window, press the up switch to raise the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2 seconds. Another possible effect of lost calibration is that the feature may not lower the window. To re-calibrate the window in this case, lower the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2 seconds. Immediately after releasing the window down switch, press the up switch to raise the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2 seconds.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back