Easiest way to get to the gauge circuits behind the dash, 1964 Thunderbird

ak7an
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just wondering what the easiest way to disassemble the dash to get to the gauge wiring?
Thank You
Ed

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Like a lot of things on this car, there's no "easy" way, except to let somebody else do it. But since you asked, here goes:

Step one: remove the trim from under the steering column, then remove the hardware that holds the column in place, and let the steering column drop down some. At this point it would be wise to cover this column with a towel or blanket of some kind to help prevent scratching.

Step two: Remove several screws to loosen the instrument cluster. Then carefully pull the cluster straight out, and then swing it toward the right. For whatever reason this will be hard the first time, but if you have to do it again later it's easier. I guess it's just the shape of the wiring harnesses.

Step three: depending on what you need to do, you can remove and replace the voltage regulator or a few other components right there. To remove the cluster entirely, carefully disconnect the wires from the terminal posts and remove the speedometer cable.

Good luck!

Well after fixing a few minor things and replacing the lower ball joints, I really new "EASY" wasn't in the cards.. The screws that you remove to loosen the instrument cluster, are those the vertical ones under the gauges?
Thank you
Ed

I think there are screws under the gauges that hold the trim in place. You can remove the screw, remove the cover, and you can reach the gauge itself. I'm not sure if you can remove them from the front; I think you have to remove the wires from the terminals in back. But get some Testor's fluorescent red paint -- make those dial pointers look good.

There are some screws ABOVE the gauges that hold the cluster in place.

So does anyone know which side of the firewall the gauge circuitry wires come thru.. I discovered that when this bird was restored and the engine was replaced the gauge wires under the hood disappeared, well I haven't located then anyway.. So if someone can tell me if it is the drivers side wire bundle or the 2 on the passenger side.
Thank you
Ed

Can anyone help with the question that I asked in the above post?
Thank You
Ed

Back