Dying to Own a '67 'Bird - What toWatch Out For?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
I am hoping to buy a '67 T-bird as soon as I sell my Lincoln Town Car.. I've owned a 1960 and a 1965, but that was a VERY long time ago.

I'm wondering, is there any "special problem areas" I should be careful about on the '67? Weak points, etc?

P.S. Is there a way to change the forum text from light link to regular black? I can barely read this.

I am hoping to buy a '67 T-bird as soon as I sell my Lincoln Town Car.. I've owned a 1960 and a 1965, but that was a VERY long time ago.

I'm wondering, is there any "special problem areas" I should be careful about on the '67? Weak points, etc?

P.S. Is there a way to change the forum text from light link to regular black? I can barely read this.
@DesertRatt,
Please PM me at gandcc@*********. I have a 67 2 door hardtop that I need to sell in the next few months. I bought it in 2018 and it has quite a story.
Regards,
George

Last edited by a moderator:
I restored my '67 T-Bird several years ago. "Restored", I mean I literaly rebuilt the car. It has the 428 Q Code engine and all available options except cruise control. The interior is probably the most durable part of this model. My find did not have much rust despite the fact the trunk drains were rotted. I was able to find NOS glass for the side windows and windshield (all very expensive) and put in new seals and wisker seals. Had to replace all vacuum hoses which was a pain. Purchased two donor cars for misc parts I couldn't find on line. This model is a "one of" in that some parts are unique to the '67 and not interchangelabe with a '68 or '69. Heater core is unique, AC and Heater control are unique but look the same. Dash gages are slightly different just to mention a few differences. Sadley a right hand mirror is not available for these models Also changed the power windows motors to GM.
You may contact me at wjholhut@********* if you have other questions.
Bill Holhut

2gmail

Attachments

• 7FFFD781-EF42-43AE-94AC-C14579CF7005.jpeg
    7FFFD781-EF42-43AE-94AC-C14579CF7005.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • C7FD8DED-09E6-4ECC-8358-88754D303D1B.jpeg
    C7FD8DED-09E6-4ECC-8358-88754D303D1B.jpeg
    910.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 4860BA81-268E-4057-BA73-236718AFCEE8.jpeg
    4860BA81-268E-4057-BA73-236718AFCEE8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 946FEBA0-7F74-4A87-9480-AA40E569AB85_1_201_a.jpeg
    946FEBA0-7F74-4A87-9480-AA40E569AB85_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 29936FF3-FB77-450A-9AAA-F3C4E752C1C6.jpeg
    29936FF3-FB77-450A-9AAA-F3C4E752C1C6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 207D0253-E240-4865-BFE6-8B321D3F7657_1_201_a.jpeg
    207D0253-E240-4865-BFE6-8B321D3F7657_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 1B0FFCE2-E577-4A43-99C7-7943410E672A_1_201_a.jpeg
    1B0FFCE2-E577-4A43-99C7-7943410E672A_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Wow - Bill, That's a gorgeous T-Bird.

As much as I want to know more about Birds, with my older eyes, I simply can't read this forum because of the weird color of text. For me, it's just nearly impossible. So, I won't be posting here any more unless I can somehow change my screen settings?

Wow - Bill, That's a gorgeous T-Bird.

As much as I want to know more about Birds, with my older eyes, I simply can't read this forum because of the weird color of text. For me, it's just nearly impossible. So, I won't be posting here any more unless I can somehow change my screen settings?
I agree the pink text is difficult to read.
If you want to contact me I have a gmail account behind my wjholhut name. Look forward to hearing from you.
Bill

I agree the pink text is difficult to read.
If you want to contact me I have a gmail account behind my wjholhut name. Look forward to hearing from you.
Bill
I don’t check this forum very often so I was interested to find someone who has restored a 1967 model because I too an in the process of a frame off restoration of a 1967 fordor Landau. It would be interesting to compare notes.
Here is a pic of my car when I purchased it last year and before I started restoration

Attachments

• 2A0CE887-7311-47F8-B47C-97108CFF0AA2.jpeg
    2A0CE887-7311-47F8-B47C-97108CFF0AA2.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 1
Is your car in the US? If so you have a very rare passenger side mirror. These impossible to find anywhere.

The car is in Florida and was sold new in Ft Meyers. Yes, I’m aware of how rare the passenger side mirror is. So much of the 1967 model was unique. One year only.

Passenger side mirrors were rare on almost ANY car in the 1960s. Hell even seat belts and the rear view mirror wasn't really considered safety oriented. I remember seeing old early bullet bird commercials where they toted the rear view mirror as "See those behind you as you soar past them!" Pretty silly now that you think about nowadays

You might find this weird, but if I had your car I would replicate the mirror and sell them for $500 each. I’ll buy the first one.

[/QUOTE

My grandfather bought the one I now own brand new in 66' ordered it from the factory.
The only issues I have had is replacing the tiny vacuum hoses that operate the lights, vents and steering wheel.
I do have a current problem regarding the interior speedometer/clock/gauge lights keep blowing the tiny 2/5? Amp fuse when I turn on the headlights.
Also the darn door switch that turns on the interior lights is recessed into the panel that it won't turn off.
Besides the obvious things that have been stated already (rust, suspension,etc) I would go through the electrical system and vacuum hoses with a fine toothed comb.
I did replace the sequential flashers with a digital one with ease and most folks can easily fix most mechanical problems (engine, tranny, suspension, brakes, etc) if you are willing to accept that.
I would gladly sell you mine but it's still too sentimental and drives awesome (in the daytime )
Good luck!
Ted

My grandfather bought the one I now own brand new in 66' ordered it from the factory.
The only issues I have had is replacing the tiny vacuum hoses that operate the lights, vents and steering wheel.
I do have a current problem regarding the interior speedometer/clock/gauge lights keep blowing the tiny 2/5? Amp fuse when I turn on the headlights.
Also the darn door switch that turns on the interior lights is recessed into the panel that it won't turn off.
Besides the obvious things that have been stated already (rust, suspension,etc) I would go through the electrical system and vacuum hoses with a fine toothed comb.
I did replace the sequential flashers with a digital one with ease and most folks can easily fix most mechanical problems (engine, tranny, suspension, brakes, etc) if you are willing to accept that.
I would gladly sell you mine but it's still too sentimental and drives awesome (in the daytime )
Good luck!
Ted
Yup I replaced the sequential lights to with plasma led and a modern sequencer and flasher. The original stuff was just not working to well anymore leading to almost a few accidents due to dim lights. The headlight motors were the next to be replaced with a modern electric motor system over the old vacuum which is almost impossible to find, and EXTREMELY expensive to get rebuilt. Now I own a 69, but I took down all the suspension, brakes and exhaust. a complete rebuild of all critical components. Including rebuilding the transmission and rear axle. You have to remember these vehicles are over 50 years old now and even if they were very well cared for time and environment will take its toll. Rubber lines, suspension bushings, brake lines, engine gaskets, heat cycles. Figure you will dump A LOT into maintaining these vehicles unless you get lucky and snag something left in a airtight safe. Remember back then they didn't care for rust prevention and stainless steel. a lot of things will have corrosion and rust. Hot dry environment will wreak havoc on interior, and cold moist areas will promote rust and rot. Pick your poison. Almost all of these cars will need to have their suspension replaced at this point simply due to the fact the vehicles weight has been sitting on it for 50 years. Lastly in the end remember buying one of these cars is a labor of love and respect towards it. You will never get back what you invest. NEVER. The value of this era tbird is just not in a "most wanted" area. More often then not the value hovers around 5-15k. When you go into buying one remember that when considering a purchase.

Yep a labor of love for sure.
The worst repair was the union in the rear brake line. I stripped it with the other brake line I tried to make. Bad call, took me forever to find the replacement union.
Labor of love

Last edited:
After learning how to fix the text colors a bit, I'm back after weeks away.

During that time, we got into the pandemic, and my projects around cars went by the way side. I appreciate all the posts about the '67 Birds, even if it is now kind of off the table for me.
It did give me an opportunity to bone up a bit on the whole T-Bird history, and get a little more knowledgeable about the models.

I'm hoping to still pass on my '07 Town Car, and buy a T-Bird. But, I'm widening my desires to now include a 1972/3. I suppose in the end, mostly it will depend on what I find when I have the money in my hand!
Cheers!

Back