Dual reservoir master cylinder upgrade 1962

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
skorper
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all. Got a 1962 hardtop. Has anyone upgraded to a dual reservoir master cylinder when using the 4 wheel drum brakes with power assist? I would like to replace my single reservoir unit with a dual bowl and don't want to get rid of the power booster or change out my brakes. Don't know if I will need a new proportioning valve or not, I've been told that the larger wheel cylinders in the front are basically your proportioning on drum systems. Are there any master cylinders that will work from a later model, perhaps a '67 or so? I need it to bolt up to my booster.

Please use the 4 digit model year when posting which assists with searches. I updated.

I have drums and upgraded the master cylinder to a dual, no proportioning valve as the MC was used for drum braked cars. I had to replace the booster though as this was causing some of my issues, the booster was a universal 9" and the MC was off a 68 Camaro drum brakes. A little mod to the brackets for the booster and I had to mod the pushrod (between the booster and MC).

I am in the middle of converting my 64 also with four drum brakes and no proportioning valve. One word of caution do not press the brake pedal with the master cylinder off you will do major damage to the booster.

Thanks guys for the responses and the warning. As I understand it the master cylinder on my 1962 has a 1" bore/1" piston, so any drum brake master cylinder with a 1" piston should work. BUT... The only master cylinders that I have found so far are for disc/drum systems with one reservoir being larger than the other. Or they are for all drum brakes with both bowls being the same size...the only caveat is that the all drum units state that they are for non power only.

I should add that I'd like to keep my booster. Nothing wrong with it and it is a newer OEM replacement.

Thanks guys for the responses and the warning. As I understand it the master cylinder on my 1962 has a 1" bore/1" piston, so any drum brake master cylinder with a 1" piston should work. BUT... The only master cylinders that I have found so far are for disc/drum systems with one reservoir being larger than the other. Or they are for all drum brakes with both bowls being the same size...the only caveat is that the all drum units state that they are for non power only.
The MC I fitted stated non power but hadn't noticed, came with a boot grommet which would pass through the fire wall I presume. Took that off and still used - just had to measure the push bar bit and mod its length. All works fine.

The MC I fitted stated non power but hadn't noticed, came with a boot grommet which would pass through the fire wall I presume. Took that off and still used - just had to measure the push bar bit and mod its length. All works fine.
Got it, thanks. Did you have to cut into your support bracket/transverse pillar in order to get the clearance to fit the new MC? It doesn't look as if I'm going to have much room at all in front of the single bowl unit.

Yes a had to remove one edge to allow for it - hard to notice unless you know!

Back