Drum/Disc brake conversions to 1956 Tbird

M

Mr. Bill

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I would like to convert my front brakes from drum to power boost disc and was told that because the booster would interfere with the battery , the battery would have to be moved to the trunk, is this the only way to do it? I would also like to convert the windshield wiper to a newer electric version. Does anyone who has done these two conversions have any suggestions and the names of manufacturer kits and where to buy them?

I updated your title from:
conversions to 1956 Tbird
to
Drum/Disc brake conversions to 1956 Tbird

I would like to convert my front brakes from drum to power boost disc and was told that because the booster would interfere with the battery , the battery would have to be moved to the trunk, is this the only way to do it? I would also like to convert the windshield wiper to a newer electric version. Does anyone who has done these two conversions have any suggestions and the names of manufacturer kits and where to buy them?
I have not done the disc brake conversion. I have done a little research and yes there is always mention that if you want a firewall mounted booster you will have to move the battery. I have also heard that just changing from the single chamber master cylinder to the double chamber master cylinder presents problems with routing brake lines due to interference from the battery. You also need to be careful that whatever you put at the firewall does not interfere with the hood latch mechanism.
Another option I have been looking at is using and electric brake booster. You can mount it in a different spot than the firewall, plumb your brake lines through it and wire it up.
I know Hill's has done brake and wiper conversions for customers and the technicians there, that I have talked with, will readily share information. They even list the conversions in their catalog. Another company that I know of is Casco. My understanding is that they insure things fit and work before they offer them in their catalog. One of the guys in my local club uses drop-n-stop (non-power) disc brake conversions.

Brakes: If you use the original hydro-vac booster it is mounted on the inner fender forward of the battery.
Electric windshield wiper: This was a huge pain to install. In normal use I would not change from the vacuum wipers. the vacuum wipers have been adequate. The electric conversion is so difficult and aggravating, you can't believe it.

Bill, I been through this change over, which is a good one only if you get all the air bubbles out of the master cylinder, the power booster and at least 18" of vacuum. I had 171/2 ", so I used electric pump. The battery has to be removed during installation. You will want to use a combination valve and it will mount on the battery heat guard. This requires the use the use of a double master cylinder. You'll find a close fit here. The brake fluid drip tray forward end rest on the exhaust manifold. No problem because you will use "dot 5" brake fluid, which has a high boiling point. It's recommend you install all new brake fluid lines because of cross contamination with old fluid.

My trouble was the air in the lines and master cylinder. When I couldn't get the brakes to work well, I had the bird in the 8th shop, who circulated the fluid 3 times before it was bubble free. Now my wife can drive the bird safely!

I got my conversion from CASCO who's personal were most helpful telling me to "GET THE AIR OUT" and life will be good. Pidgie

Back