Door Interior Panel Removal 2002 Thunderbird

JMac4506

JMac4506

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello!
I am trying to replace the door lock actuator on the passenger door of my car.
The "How To" sires are really not giving good clear instructions.
Anyone have a good description on how to remove panel without breaking things?
I have all the screws removed but it still feels really secure in places.
Any help, direction or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Moderator Note- Related Thread with more details-

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Once all the screws have been removed, use a flat plastic tool tool under the door panel edge to pry the clips loose. Go all around the panel and it will lift off. If you don't have a plastic tool for this purpose, use a putty knife with masking tape on the blade to protect the paint.

JMac4506

Here is the text from the shop manual. The pictures won't paste in. Send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you the text & pictures. Hope this helps.

Door Trim Panel

Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

2. Remove the door handle cup cover.

3. Remove the screw.

4. Remove the switch plate by lifting the front and moving it forward.

· Disconnect the electrical connectors.

5. Remove the speaker grille.

1. Release the front clips.

2. Move the speaker grille forward.

6. Remove the speaker screws.

7. Remove the screws and the door trim panel.

· Disconnect the electrical connectors.

8. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Click on the link below and go to post # 10 and read the instructions thoroughly (and look at pictures) so you don't break anything!!!

OK, got my lock actuator replaced tonight. Wasn't too bad of a job. Here are a few things that I thought would have been a little helpful if known ahead of time. Hope this helps someone out down the road...
After removing all torx screws, the door is held in place by these white mushroom snaps. Some of them pulled of the door, others pulled out of the panel. I've enclosed a pic of the location of these snaps. If they stick in the door, you can pull them off and slide them back into place on the door panel.
2nd thing... the rods that are connected to the lock mechanism can come loose by unsnapping them. In the picture I have the two yellow clips circled. The clip 1 (Outer Handle) at the small yellow section flips out and releases the rod. Clip 2, push it back away from rod. I actually left this one on and still got job done. The electrical connections on the lock/actuator are bit of a bear. Unclip these and pull off in order to bring the lock assembly out of the door.
After replacing actuator, placing the door panel back on was a bit taxing... you need to align 7 snap pins and the manual lock rod through the panel all at the same time. I found starting at the top was the best approach. All of those snaps are in a straight line.
Pop all the snaps, replace the screws, door pocket, corner moulding, speaker cover... Done! Works great and saved prob a couple hundred in repair cost!

door1.JPG door2.JPG panel snaps.JPG rods.JPG

OK, got my lock actuator replaced tonight. Wasn't too bad of a job. Here are a few things that I thought would have been a little helpful if known ahead of time. Hope this helps someone out down the road...
After removing all torx screws, the door is held in place by these white mushroom snaps. Some of them pulled of the door, others pulled out of the panel. I've enclosed a pic of the location of these snaps. If they stick in the door, you can pull them off and slide them back into place on the door panel.
2nd thing... the rods that are connected to the lock mechanism can come loose by unsnapping them. In the picture I have the two yellow clips circled. The clip 1 (Outer Handle) at the small yellow section flips out and releases the rod. Clip 2, push it back away from rod. I actually left this one on and still got job done. The electrical connections on the lock/actuator are bit of a bear. Unclip these and pull off in order to bring the lock assembly out of the door.
After replacing actuator, placing the door panel back on was a bit taxing... you need to align 7 snap pins and the manual lock rod through the panel all at the same time. I found starting at the top was the best approach. All of those snaps are in a straight line.
Pop all the snaps, replace the screws, door pocket, corner moulding, speaker cover... Done! Works great and saved prob a couple hundred in repair cost!

View attachment 1646 View attachment 1647 View attachment 1648 View attachment 1649
How much did the lock actuator cost?

View attachment 1646 View attachment 1647 View attachment 1648 View attachment 1649
My problem was getting my hand inside to remount the new door lock actuator. I tried twice and it keeps falling off and into the door..!! How did you do this

Hello!
I am trying to replace the door lock actuator on the passenger door of my car.
The "How To" sires are really not giving good clear instructions.
Anyone have a good description on how to remove panel without breaking things?
I have all the screws removed but it still feels really secure in places.
Any help, direction or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I would pick up a set of plastic pry bars. then work them around the edges very carefully.

Back