Door hinge fetent, 1964 Hardtop

Gary Tayman

Gary Tayman

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm wondering if others have this issue, and maybe have suggestions.

My 1964 Hardtop, which has been a project car, has had a problem with the driver's door. Generally there are a couple of detents, where the door stays open till you get in or out. This door has no detent, and swings shut whenever I let go of it.

Looking at the lower hinge, it appears there are two Nylon bushings that apparently have a strong spring in between. These bushings push outward against certain bumps on the hinge frame. I suppose the Nylon bushings are worn to the point where they no longer press against the frame.

So I was able to obtain a hinge from a junk car. I painted it to match and had someone install it. Plenty of detent! For awhile that is. Out of nowhere, now this door acts just like it did before! Am I missing something here? Do these bushings wear that fast? Something doesn't seem right. Suggestions?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Back