Dean Batchelor 1957 Ford Thunderbird No Porthole

tbird

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was at the 2018 Spring Rod Run in Pigeon Forge and spotted a 1957 Ford Thunderbird with a Hardtop the guy said was special ordered from the factory without a porthole. The car also had documentation which I scanned and attached to this post from a February 1959 Rod & Custom magazine where the front end had been customized, and it also had a custom grill and appeared in a magazine. The car sold right after I shot the video below!

Does anyone know more about this car, or how many cars had no porthole from the factory in 1957?

Below a video of the car, I am uploading photos to the photo gallery here. Below is the car original sale documents as well as the magazine article. This is a pretty cool car! It went to Georgia.

New Doc 2018-04-26_1.jpg New Doc 2018-04-26_2.jpg New Doc 2018-04-26_3.jpg New Doc 2018-04-26_4.jpg

Attachments

• Rod&Custom.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My 57 came with no port holes and the same emblem, I have since added the port holes (wife requirement) and kept the emblems because of the kool factor.

And I learned something today. Did not know 1957's could be had from factory with non-porthole tops. Thank you.

I restored a '57 for a friend a few years back that ordered and bought his car new with a non-porthole top.D7FH209736.JPGNon Porthole top.jpg

And I learned something today. Did not know 1957's could be had from factory with non-porthole tops. Thank you.

According to the book by Ray Miller:

Responding to complaints of limited vision in their hard tops; in 1956 “port windows” were offered. Continuing through 1957, these port windows were available at no charge at the customer’s option. Evidently, Ford could not decide whether or not they should be used, and both types continued to be made through 1957.

The 1955 hard top had no port windows and had the Ford crest emblem. The 1956 hard top was available with port windows at the customer’s option. If you ordered a 1956 hard top without port windows, it was furnished with no insignia at all. The 1957 hard top was also available with port windows at the customer’s option. If you ordered a 1957 hard top without port windows, it was furnished with a unique decorative emblem. This emblem was used only in 1957 and is similar to, but not interchangeable with those used on the 1958 Thunderbird.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back