Correct headers for 1966 tbird 390

Steeletbird

Steeletbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
HELP :) What headers fit a 1966 tbird with 390 fe, there seems to be some issues about getting the right size of headers to fit due to size restraints .... ( for an old car that usually had so much room under the hood it seems strange to be so tight for headers ) what experience has anyone had with installing them , what brand etc.... i'm assuming they should be installed while putting motor in, is that a correct assumption ?

AFTER approx 2 years of work on my 66 tbird i'm ready to put the rebuilt 390 back in and dont want to find out the hard way ( it doesnt fit )

Make sure your heads are the standard 8 bolt exhaust heads. If not you will have a problem. All of the early GT Fairlanes and the GT mustangs had 14 bolt exhaust headers and the 428 had 16 bolt headers. Nothing on the market will fit these heads. I have a set of 8 bolt headers that I would sell cheap to get some of my money back from them. I did not know this until I rebuilt a 1967 390 out of a Fairlane GTA. Now I am stuck with the original exhaust manifolds or else I have to make a set of headers from scratch.

Make sure your heads are the standard 8 bolt exhaust heads. If not you will have a problem. All of the early GT Fairlanes and the GT mustangs had 14 bolt exhaust headers and the 428 had 16 bolt headers. Nothing on the market will fit these heads. I have a set of 8 bolt headers that I would sell cheap to get some of my money back from them. I did not know this until I rebuilt a 1967 390 out of a Fairlane GTA. Now I am stuck with the original exhaust manifolds or else I have to make a set of headers from scratch.

im pretty sure they are ... here is a pic of the motor and the car im working on ( was too late to go look at the motor in garage )

After looking at your 390. You have the standard 8 bolt heads. Type in Stainless Steel Headers in your search. You will find any kind of header that you could use including kits to build your own. Most of the places are fairly cheap. Check them out.

After looking at your 390. You have the standard 8 bolt heads. Type in Stainless Steel Headers in your search. You will find any kind of header that you could use including kits to build your own. Most of the places are fairly cheap. Check them out.
THANKS SO MUCH !!! sorry to ask a " stupid question ..going back to my " origional question will i have room for them

ps ... btw that is the before picture .... it has been rebuilt since then by a profeesional engine builder not me :) i would probably have parts left over if i did it

When you do a search for the headers you will find that they have headers that hug the engine and you should be able to find a pair that will fit you application. i may have to build my one header backing plate and then buy a kit to make my own headers as I cannot buy any that will fit my heads. You are lucky in that respect.

HELP :) What headers fit a 1966 tbird with 390 fe, there seems to be some issues about getting the right size of headers to fit due to size restraints .... ( for an old car that usually had so much room under the hood it seems strange to be so tight for headers ) what experience has anyone had with installing them , what brand etc.... i'm assuming they should be installed while putting motor in, is that a correct assumption ?

AFTER approx 2 years of work on my 66 tbird i'm ready to put the rebuilt 390 back in and dont want to find out the hard way ( it doesnt fit )
There are two mfg that i would recomend for full length pipes go with FPA FOR SHORTYS TRY SANDERSON. Definetly recomend installing with motor if your are replacing motor mounts at this time i would recomend making 1/4" shim plates to fit between mount and frame. Newer mounts tend to be 1/4 in height and can influence a clearence issue. Clearence in the end will be minimal at least that is what ive found with FPA headers. There cost from FPA is about $900. Sandersons are about $$5-6 depending on finish Agan i went with FPA with a ceramic finish two years ago they still look like new.

I have SANDERSON headers on my ‘64. (Would fit yours). The passenger side will require some fabrication. To hook up to stock pipes..They came ceramic coated.. Had to unbolt motor mounts (one at a time) to slightly jack up motor to install from underneatn. Good news: engine can be pulled/installed with headers bolted on!

Back