Cops Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A
Last seen
Well the "wifes" 2003 bird is down again...........I was certain I had seen the "code" for the cops somewhere on the site in the past but I have high speed scanned numerous times and can't find it. I have had two different code readers try their luck but neither have been able to get the car to respond and give up the info :mad: the little lady says she ( the car) is just being a good little bitc....! Another friend has one of them super duper snap-on readers and says he can get her to talk. :rolleyes: Would one of you knowledgeable folk have that code handy? I refuse to take her bird to the dealer until I know the problem especially after the shellacking I took with the tranny! ;) From the symptoms I believe it is the cops but would like to have the upper hand on the dealer when they pull that wool over my eyes! :D Thanks people! Hay have a great forth og July!! :D

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The COPS are covered up to 100,000 miles on 2003's have you talked with a dealer or showed him the letter?

Hey George! No I have not spoke with dealer at this point. I want to have read the codes before I contact them. I want to let them know I know what is wrong with the car so they can not do to me what they did with the transmission fiasco! :eek: I have my letter but I no longer trust Ford or their dealer network. :( I would like to be able to take the car in and tell them which cops to replace and not to touch anything else. Sad, that I have to feel this way but it is what it is. Although I must say I still will not buy forgein! :D

Quickdraw, didn't know they did that. Will give the closest parts house a call. Do you think its ok to drive the car to them? Its shak'n and rattl'n purrty good! :p

Gave them a call before I submitted this post. They can read code but can not interpret what the code is related too! ;) Say they have a book for cross reference but tell me the book is never correct! :(...............

Any of you know the code for the cops?:confused:....................

It sounds like you need to try a Lincoln dealer. More professional and they understand the engine issues since there are a lot more Lincoln LS's out there with the same issues/same engine.

George, due to many recommendations on this site you are correct, I will be taking her bird to a Lincoln dealer for the work. It is quite a hike from home and will pass about 4 ford dealers but.........well you know! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was able to coax the codes out of the old gal this evening with the super duper snap-on code getter and there are 4. :eek:

PO308 which I found to mean a cylinder #8 misfire

PO316 which I am told means a "start up misfire in first 1000 revolutions".
I figure PO316 is honoring PO308 , as the kids today say " got its back! "

PO351 converts to "Ignition coil A primary/secondary circuit fault"

and PO358 which seems to be "Ignition coil H primary/secondary circuit fault"

What I am wondering and have not been able to find is which coils are A & H? :confused:

I was thinking since I know I have a misfire on cylinder #8, could that be coil H ? ( ABCDEFGH / 12345678 If so then coil A would be cylinder #1 even though I have no misfire code for it? :confused:

Now I'm wondering if the cylinders are numbered facing the car with hood up, 1234 front to back passenger side bank and 5678 front to back driver side bank? If thats correct then would the ABCDEFGH conversion work?

If so then I think I have a bad COP on left front and right rear cylinders!!! :D

I'm so confused..........:(

Glad you decided to go to a Lincoln dealer. I hope it's worth the trip for you.
Not sure but it still sounds like COP failures to me, but I could be wrong.
The only thing I have heard of is the firing order of 2002 TBirds and LS's, below:
Engine 3.9L-4V V8 engine
Firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
Spark plug gap 0.99-1.09 mm(0.039-0.043 inch)

Passenger side of the engine is cyl 1234, with #1 at the front. The driver's side would be 5678 with 5 being at the front

But since 2003 to 2005 were different engines, don't rely on this data for your car.

Best bet is the dealer, especially with that extended warranty for your COPS....Take that letter with you though. It may save some confusion.

Called the Lincoln dealer today. Told them my sob story. They claim to know nothing about extended warranty but, they are Lincoln dealer so I faxed letter to them. The seem skeptical, told me they would check and call me back, that was at 8:30 this morning. Have heard nothing........................still nothing.......................nut'n....................I'm in a holding pattern. With it being a holiday weekend I figure nothing will happen until first of week. :rolleyes:

Well that's a good first step anyway!! At least the FORD letterhead may get their attention. Many TB owners are just now, in the past week, receiving personal letters with their specific VIN number, so possibly the one for your car is in the mail.
Good luck and keep us posted please:cool:

:D Thats what has me spooked! My letter has my VIN and a bar code etc....I received this letter in July of 2007. Still wait'n......................bet I gotta giv'um another call! :p Thats OK, I'm think'n I am happy that the car started and got her to where she needed to be all those other days! :p She ain't a happy camper right now though, she doesn't like driving my corvette. Says its to flashy! :D Come to think of it, I don't like driving my vette too much either! ;) I'll let you'ins know when we get things a rolling!

Happy Fourth of July to all! Count your blessings each and everyone! We have some brave kids overseas given it all they got so we can set over here e-talkin about our vehicles etc.....

If any of you warriors are on this site I thank you from my heart for what you do and stand for! Be safe! Mike................

Thanks,and again, Good Luck!
Happy 4th of July to all and THANKS to all our men and women in the armed forces for their service!!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back