Convertible top gets stuck going down?

T

Thunderdude UK

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, iv just purchased a 2005 thunderbird here in the UK and have a couple of problems with the car. When I put the roof down it gets stuck half way down and I need to push or pull on the rear windows for it to fall into place and then it goes down and sits fine.

Also on occasion the roof switch clicks and it’s doesnt engage the roof? After a few more presses the pump comes alive and the roof goes up?

I love the car a real head turner especially here in the UK and would appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Might be simply missing hydrolic oil in the system.

I think I might be having a similar problem with my 2003. I am having a hard time finding information on how to fix it though. Does anyone have any info on how to get to the Motor/pump and such?

I think I might be having a similar problem with my 2003. I am having a hard time finding information on how to fix it though. Does anyone have any info on how to get to the Motor/pump and such?
maybe these will help

Attachments

• top diagnostics.pdf
    629 KB · Views: 18
  • top.pdf
    494.5 KB · Views: 14
I just put the top down on our 2002 and it stopped half way and I had to get out and manipulate the glass in order to get it to go down. Has anyone figured this problem out?

I agree with some lubricant, on my 02 the top would get very slow, and
at times get hung up going down. I put a few drops of oil on all moving
parts hinges, now goes down with no issues.
Any special oil, or just something like 3 in 1 oil?

Thanks for the info everyone. I too have too have a roof that sticks while going down. I will try the Lithium Spray.

I don't know what I'd do without this forum! My Thunderbird is almost 16 years old and close to 100,000 miles. It's always been my primary car, not a summer toy. So when problems like this pop up -- unfortunately, more often now that it's getting decrepit like me! -- I depend on this site to fix the bells and whistles. And more critically, to be forearmed with the correct and specific-to-this-car information when paying a mechanic to tackle the big stuff!

Doubt that you have lost any Hydraulic fluid.
Answering your question the pump & hoses are under the cloth pocket that the soft top folds down into. Open the two snaps on each side for access.

Back