Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CousinWilly64

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
Hey everyone I’m new here to the forum. I’m looking at purchasing a 77 Bird for almost nothing. Guy is asking $400 but gonna try to score it for less. Currently has no engine, transmission, or driveshaft. Now I’ve been digging around to try and find parts for this thing but man oh man I’ve hit a lot of walls. Is there vehicles I could yank engines and etc from for this car? My understanding was that these cars could get a 302,351, or a 400. I believe that they only came with C6 transmissions. Needing some help to locate parts any info appreciated thanks guys and gals

You would be better off finding a car with a drive train in it than mess with a shell. What condition is the car in? $400 sounds pretty cheap. I wonder what other work its probably going to need. As for drivetrain? Better look older. Like before emissions because that shoot will destroy any power you are wanting to make. Though that begs the question... What are your goals? Plan? What do you expect this car to be? Ask yourself those question before you dive into it.

Thanks for the reply. At this point the goal is to have it move under its own power. More goodies and such will be considered down the road. Body and such is in fair condition.

Vinyl top? Or hard top? If vinyl you'd better check it out. They are notorious for rusting out the roof.

It was a vinyl top and they have it removed. Roof actually has no surface rust. Now I will say it has a quarter sized hole in the trunk and a small one in the wheel well in the engine bay. The floors appear a bit soft and the seat brackets are broken. Best he could do for me is $300

I believe you would be much better off with a running driving Tbird .
Unless, you are doing this just to build a car yourself ,doing all the work.
Be safe
Have fun.

I know the 302 & 351W cars came with the FMX transmissions. Not sure what the 351/400M came with.

The rear bumper mounts on my '79 Bird were notorious for rotting out. I always look at the rear mounts on the cars to give an idea if it lives in the rust belt. Front inner fenders would also rust, but not like those rear bumper mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back