Coil Pack Cover Gasket Fabrication 2004 Premium Platinum Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
WesTxStoner425

WesTxStoner425

2004 Platinum over Sand interior
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone fabricated a gasket for the COPs Cover after finding that the new COPs were fractionally too tall? Wondering what gasket material would be best to use. I want to be sure that no moisture or oil can get past the covers and cause another COPs and/or plug failure. I was thinking of using a thick bead of RTV sealant on the upside down covers, letting it cure, then reinstalling, but I think using a liquid sealant would be best when the fit is already snug, and the parts can be mated immediately after applying the sealant. I'd just feel more secure with a gasket cut to fit to take up the slack caused by the slightly taller aftermarket COPs, maybe in conjunction with a thin bead of sealant. FYI, I already replaced the valve cover gaskets. If anyone has suggestions or experience with this, please enlighten me. What material did you use, how did it hold up, etc? Thanks in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Has anyone fabricated a gasket for the COPs Cover after finding that the new COPs were fractionally too tall? Wondering what gasket material would be best to use. I want to be sure that no moisture or oil can get past the covers and cause another COPs and/or plug failure. I was thinking of using a thick bead of RTV sealant on the upside down covers, letting it cure, then reinstalling, but I think using a liquid sealant would be best when the fit is already snug, and the parts can be mated immediately after applying the sealant. I'd just feel more secure with a gasket cut to fit to take up the slack caused by the slightly taller aftermarket COPs, maybe in conjunction with a thin bead of sealant. FYI, I already replaced the valve cover gaskets. If anyone has suggestions or experience with this, please enlighten me. What material did you use, how did it hold up, etc? Thanks in advance.

This worked for me. Remove the covers, maybe wash them in the sink with dish detergent. Obtain a can of electrical contact cleaner, (some thing that leaves no residue).Wipe down the surfaces on the valve covers where the seal of the covers make contact. Do not use a strong solvent on the sealing surface of the covers. Reinstall the covers, Purchase a tube of automotive sealant One that specifically says heat and oil resistant. Run a small bead of this sealant only on the top and front and back contact surfaces around the cops cover, not on the bottom On the drivers side water runs down the windshield under the bottom seal, across the windshield motor and drips on the backend of the cops cover closest to the firewall. After replacing all the cops and the sparkplugs years ago and conducting the above procedure many years ago I have had no cops problems..

I have replaced all my cops 7 years ago with aftermarkets models and they did not interfere with the cover. BUT if yours do you can purchase some cork gasket material it is sold in most auto parts store and different thingness. and cut the gasket to size. it is just not cork it has rubber impregnated in it.

I just replaced the COPs on my 2004. When I first tried to reinstall the covers, I thought that the COPs were too tall. I finally got the covers in the correct position, and they now fit like a glove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back