Clunk

tlfmd
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 2005 has a rear suspension "clunk", dull, reproducible on the road, invisible or inaudible to the shop. I've asked them twice (Ford dealer) They say all is well. It developed about three years ago, and is kinda annoying.
I'm at 35K mi. No History of accident, I bought it from the showroom floor.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Me too. I have an '04 w/65,000 and i hear it mostly between 25-30 mph. It sounds to me as if an under frame exhaust pipe bracket is loose , or something to that effect. Someone mentioned once that an "x" brace underneath the car might be loose?
I'm going to check at my next oil change in about 6 months. But, Please post if you discover the culprit! Thanks.

Me too. I have an '04 w/65,000 and i hear it mostly between 25-30 mph. It sounds to me as if an under frame exhaust pipe bracket is loose , or something to that effect. Someone mentioned once that an "x" brace underneath the car might be loose?
I'm going to check at my next oil change in about 6 months. But, Please post if you discover the culprit! Thanks.

Also check the rear suspension lateral link arm (part number 1W6Z5B551AA) you have two and the joints go bad very easily, mine were gone when I got my TBird and these can also make a noise and some shaking in the rear. This may be nothing to do with your clunk but thought it worth mentioning. Google the part number and you can see what they look like, you can see them underneath the rear of the car.

My 2005 has a rear suspension "clunk", dull, reproducible on the road, invisible or inaudible to the shop. I've asked them twice (Ford dealer) They say all is well. It developed about three years ago, and is kinda annoying.
I'm at 35K mi. No History of accident, I bought it from the showroom floor.
I had the same problem. Local Ford dealer traced noise to the rear sway bar stabilizer end links. Ford part #'s XW4Z-5C486-AA and 5C487-AA. Noise is gone! Hope this helps.

Mine makes a noise almost like the tire is rubbing on the fender at highway speeds when hit just a dip in the road, not a hard bump. I got 4 new struts to put on to see if that will stiffen up the suspension.

Does the sound keep going after you hit the bump or only when you hit the bump? If only when you hit the bump then it could be the shocks, try bouncing the corners of the car, if it bounces once or twice then stops they are good but if it either doesn't bounce at all or does it a lot more times they are shot. Also check to see if you can tell which tires are affected. If any of this helps then its a plus.

Back