Cleaning, Removing 1957 Gas Tank

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I inherited a 57 that has been sitting for 20+ years. I drained the gas tank and there was a fair amount of crud in the gas. Should I remove the tank and have it cleaned out? Is there an effective way to clean out the tank without removing it? If it should be removed, what type of shop would clean it? What steps would I take to remove the tank? Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had my 55 tank cleaned and coated. After a few years the coating came off and clogged everything. My suggestion, after sitting for many years,the tank is full of rust, just remove and replace. You will have fewer issues then.

I inherited a 57 that has been sitting for 20+ years. I drained the gas tank and there was a fair amount of crud in the gas. Should I remove the tank and have it cleaned out? Is there an effective way to clean out the tank without removing it? If it should be removed, what type of shop would clean it? What steps would I take to remove the tank? Thanks.
Just replace it. Only about $250 (steel)-$350(stainless) for replacement tanks. I have a free original 1955 tank if anyone wants to come to Idaho!

If you want to keep this tank
Get a video inspection probe and examine the inside of the tank
If it’s only crude, have it cleaned and move on
If it’s rust, replace as has been suggested
Removal of the tank would be best for access to examine

If you want to keep this tank
Get a video inspection probe and examine the inside of the tank
If it’s only crude, have it cleaned and move on
If it’s rust, replace as has been suggested
Removal of the tank would be best for access to examine
The '57 has an access plate in the trunk for the sender unit. Very easy to get to without dropping the tank.

Back