Can you add aftermarket hardtop to 02?

L

Ladybird Blue

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm considering purchasing a 02 T-Bird that was not orginally purchased with a hardtop. Is it possible to add a hardtop?

The hardtops were not made by Ford, but contracted by an outside company. Best bet is to search Ebay Motors for a used one or from an owner that never uses theirs. My 2002 hardtop is hoisted up in my garage and hasn't been used to ten years. We only use the car during the summer, seeing that we live in Michigan. When we sell our yellow Bird, it will go with it.

The hardtops were not made by Ford, but contracted by an outside company. Best bet is to search Ebay Motors for a used one or from an owner that never uses theirs. My 2002 hardtop is hoisted up in my garage and hasn't been used to ten years. We only use the car during the summer, seeing that we live in Michigan. When we sell our yellow Bird, it will go with it.

I found a white hardtop for sale. I wasn't sure what type of fittings are needed to add the hardtop? It looks like it attaches in the front where the soft top fits, however will it need fittings for the back? The dealership says they don't think I can add the hardtop since it didn't come with one.

I found a white hardtop for sale. I wasn't sure what type of fittings are needed to add the hardtop? It looks like it attaches in the front where the soft top fits, however will it need fittings for the back? The dealership says they don't think I can add the hardtop since it didn't come with one.
Time to find a new dealer. Any '02-05 top will fit as it sits.

I'm not a T-bird expert (yet) only owned one for a year, but it sure seems like every thing is there to add the hard top to your t-bird.. You will need a torx 40 too tighten down the two front attachment bolts that is part of the top (one on each side) You can find the T wrench 40 torx on e-bay if your top you buy doesn't come with it or look around for any torx 40 t handle wrench.. There are also videos on you tube on how to attach and remove the roof.. There are two levers by the port hole that attaches the hard top to the back.. You will see that on the youtube video..

Here is a questions to the forum experts, did the non hard top T-Birds have all the connections to the rear window defrost etc?

I use my hardtop during April - May and October - November and during storage over the winter..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, all 02-05 Thunderbirds are all ready, rear defroster included, to have hardtop installed. When you buy a hardtop you will also need a stand to store the hardtop when not on the car. Again, these are available on ebay if you watch for it. Besides the original top stand there are after market stands that work. HOWEVER, there is no such thing as an aftermarket hardtop for the retro Thunderbirds. Although a Ford vendor made the hardtops, Ford owned the tooling and no one else has, or can, make them. Every hardtop for the 02-05 that you see was originally installed and sold with a car.

You will also require the hand tool that is used to screw the front pins into the windshield. These are also available on eBay or Amazon. The back of the hardtops have handles on both sides, near the portholes, that push down and lock the back of the hardtop to the car. Happy hunting.

I've had my Tbird for about 5 years. It came with the hardtop on and once I got home I took it off and have never put it back on. Unless you are planning on driving the thing in cold weather, I won't worry about finding a hard top, because chances are you'll never use it. Mine is sitting in corner of basement - I hope, as I haven't looked at it 5 years, I better go check. LOL

Ladybird, would you go with the same color top or a contrasting/different color top.. I have a tourch red bird with matching top, but have toyed with buying a black or white top for something different..

I like being able to change the look of my bird twice a year so obviously my hard top is on during the winter months and off for the summer. I installed a hoist in my garage to facilitate the change. Also, I think the car is more comfortable with the hard top. It's less noisy and doesn't "tremble " as much going over bumps and rough surfaces. In addition, the right port hole can be helpful when backing out of a parking spot.

A torch red with a white hardtop looks very retro. Add whitewall tires and you have an instant classic look. I like the option of putting the hard top on in the hot summer months but also love the top down feel in the Spring and Fall. Many of our New England club members have different color tops on their Birds. It gives the cars a bit of a different look.

A torch red with a white hardtop looks very retro. Add whitewall tires and you have an instant classic look. Many of our New England club members have different color tops on their Birds. It gives the cars a bit of a different look.

I always liked the look of my Torch red bird with the black convertible top up. I'm going to wait a year or so and look for either a black or white hard top for mine.. I will still hold on to the original red one also..

This Listing is 5-months old, but I thought I'd check to see if you still have the hardtop, location, and price? Thanks, Joe (703) 520-4816

Agree the white top (on red torch) is the best retro look; not sure I'd compromised my red/red as it is stunning IMHO...Would love to have the white to switch out. Haven't even used the convertible YET (Cold in San Jose), but will take it off in a month or so...So nice to have a hardtop (sound/porthole)...

Lov my 05 Anniversary torch red with hardtop...here in AZ i use it 2 months but it does make it a looker ....L

Back