Can’t get the heat off on a 1969 Thunderbird

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
As per title I cannot get my the heater to stop blowing hot air. Even though I have the heater shut off hot air will still blow through the car. The car came equipped with the automatic climate control. I can still control the blower, but I can’t adjust the tempature itself. Suggestions anyone?

Is there an electric or vacuum heater control valve? On my 67 there is a vacuum valve that I just pulled off the inlet connection to the heater core from the waterpump. Mine us pretty rusty and may not even work but I think when operating properly it should control hot water flow to the core. The valve is open so I assume when heat is not required, vacuum is applied to restrict flow of hot water. I have no way to test it right now. I have no idea how to replace this if faulty, or if even possible to repair . Same goes for all of the other vacuum stuff on the car!

By 69 they may have converted this to electric.

As per title I cannot get my the heater to stop blowing hot air. Even though I have the heater shut off hot air will still blow through the car. The car came equipped with the automatic climate control. I can still control the blower, but I can’t adjust the tempature itself. Suggestions anyone?

Yeah I am about to put in a section of tubing and valves between the engine and heater core so when I am driving the car in the warmer weather I can just reroute the coolant back into the radiator. Then when colder weather comes back I am going to open it back up so the heater core gets coolant again.

Is your valve vacuum controlled? Have you determined that it does not work?

Yeah I am about to put in a section of tubing and valves between the engine and heater core so when I am driving the car in the warmer weather I can just reroute the coolant back into the radiator. Then when colder weather comes back I am going to open it back up so the heater core gets coolant again.

Is your valve vacuum controlled? Have you determined that it does not work?
There is no valve on the inlet line on the hose. I am guessing its electric?

Edit: Looking up for parts suggests there was too a vacuum controlled valve in the car. See my main issue is at some point someone dropped a 460 into my car before I bought it. So its been a guessing game as to what is what anymore.

Back