Camshaft swap on 1966 390/428

Rlucky63
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, anyone has changed their camshaft on their 390/428 Bird? I will install a CompCam 270H and I'll change my intake for an Edelbrock Performer 390 to keep the low torque. And change the gear for a 3.50. If anyone did it, I'd like to know their tiding experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please include a detailed title with the model year on future posts.

Your title "Camshaft" has been changed to-
Camshaft swap on 1966 390/428

Yeah, What Henro said. (X2) I juiced up a 390 in a '66 Thunderbird 40 or so years ago. It had plenty of power. It was pretty fast for a heavy car. It had a really nice sound but I could not drive past a gas station. LOL. (Mileage around town was in the 4-6 MPG range.)

Last edited:
My goal is not really to go fast but to have enough low torque to make those rear 29'' inches height tires smoke on the fenders! Not always! The people who think that is an uncle Sunday drivers car, well.....surprise!

I’m in the process currently. Just installed Edelbrock performer top end kit with a 7106 cam. It has created an issue with torque converter, having too low a stall speed. I’m shopping for a new converter with a 2600-2800 rpm stall. Not having much luck locating one. I probably will end up having original refurbished with the higher stall. I changed out the stock 3.00:1 rear end with a Strange 3.50:1 posi. Incredible difference from stop. Does, however, produce some high highway revs!

Back