Buying an '04 !! A couple questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Ucla81

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi,

Getting an '04 Deluxe, 8000 miles, carfax and Autocheck clean. I've read the online manuals but still have a couple questions. Hopefully someone here has the answers.

1. The steering wheel has a phone symbol/mute button. Were these cars made with bluetooth compability? I can't find any reference to hands-free calling in the manual. (If not, then why the phone symbol?)

2. I see there is an 'aux' option on the radio. Will my iPod play through the speakers? If so, does the ipod connect via a USB port or a single-prong hole connector? And if it has either, then where is the USB Port or Hole (inside the center console, glovebox, or where?). Do I need a special attachment?

3. Related question: If I can play my iPod, does the steering wheel have buttons I can use to control the iPod?

Thanks for any input.....

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The phone button mutes the radio if you are on the phone. The rest of the crap, I don't do

2004 Bird

Great for you! I recently " inherited" my dad's 04. I went to Out of Business and bought their adapter/setup for MP3 and had my Ford dealer service install it. It. Is made for the TBird, and does make it possible for the MP3 to play thru the speakers. I am doubly glad I got it because I decided to have satellite radio installed as well, and that was easily done using the hookup for the MP3 ( Best Buy installed my satellite radio). Both work really well, very worth it. Good luck, enjoy your Bird!!

The EASIEST way to get MP3 conversion to play your stored music, and to play music from your phone into and through your car speakers is to get a portable FM transmitter. You just tune your car radio to a vacant FM frequency, plug your device into your cigarette lighter/aux power plug, and play your stored music (or your Amazon Unlimited or Ipod music) through your car radio. These devices are simple to set up and use, and the sounds of the 60's can be played in your Thunderbird. Fun, Fun, Fun.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756WZ2V3/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

P.S. SOME of these devices are also Bluetooth capable, and will let you talk on your phone through your car stereo. The above device displays the caller's ID. -Also, you can move these devices from car to car.

I second USMCdad. This is the method I used and it works fairly well. Adds Bluetooth calling too. Cheap to buy. Bought one for my 03 Discovery as well I liked it so much.

I used one of these early devices called a "Sound Fly" in a semi-truck for years to record and listen to various podcasts and Coast to Coast AM that was broadcast only from midnight to 3 AM. The newer devices are much better and as I said in the above post, allow you to see Caller ID as well as the title to the song/podcast title you are playing. I can't see spending a thousand dollars or more for labor installing a touch screen with GPS and XM capability when these little gems work so well. You can also get a wireless backup camera if you feel you need to see behind you when parking.

I too have been looking for similar devices. My question is do these devices drain the battery if left "plugged in" overnight?

They don't use much juice, but if your cigarette lighter plug is "hot" they will remain on, and will draw from the battery. I have not seen an FM transmitter with an on/off switch, but there may be one out there somewhere.

My 2004 does not have an "always hot" cigarette lighter (unfortunately). I was thinking about wiring in an always hot one and locating it inside the center console - out of sight. A couple of my "modern" cars have this setup - one always hot to battery and another one to ignition only. I think my 2017 explorer has them in both the front and in the back seats.

Mach5 - The power port in the 2004 is normally always on. If yours is not, you may want to investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back