Bucket seats for a ‘55?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
55birdman

55birdman

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
If you’ve seen my posts it should be apparent that I’m not trying for a true”restoration” but rather a driver with some modern improvements. Being a (retired) machinist, welder, fabricator it’s not in my nature to leave things alone. The car will appear as original with some “improvements “.
These changes, I’m sure, will not be appreciated by all but there seems no shortage of beautiful restored ‘Birds out there.
Now that I’ve got that out of the way......has anyone on the forum installed bucket seats while retaining the convertible top? I’m concerned that if the seats won’t fold/slide far enough forward that I’ll have issues raising the top. If buckets are doable, are there some that I should look for?

As always, I look forward to suggestions from the group.
Art.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: JDJ
I have not put buckets in but I have worked on and with the top a lot. I have not had any trouble putting the top up or down with the bench seat all of the way back (where it was stuck for a long time). So long as the buckets seat backs will pivot forward, you should be fine. As you probably know, it is a 2 person job putting the top up or down.

Good luck,

PS I have retained the original steering column and it’s telescoping function and installed power R&P steering but will likely go with a smaller steering wheel which might allow a seat to tilt a bit more.
I’ve been looking at seats from a Mini Cooper.

I have not put buckets in but I have worked on and with the top a lot. I have not had any trouble putting the top up or down with the bench seat all of the way back (where it was stuck for a long time). So long as the buckets seat backs will pivot forward, you should be fine. As you probably know, it is a 2 person job putting the top up or down.

Good luck,
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’ve seen my posts it should be apparent that I’m not trying for a true”restoration” but rather a driver with some modern improvements. Being a (retired) machinist, welder, fabricator it’s not in my nature to leave things alone. The car will appear as original with some “improvements “.
These changes, I’m sure, will not be appreciated by all but there seems no shortage of beautiful restored ‘Birds out there.
Now that I’ve got that out of the way......has anyone on the forum installed bucket seats while retaining the convertible top? I’m concerned that if the seats won’t fold/slide far enough forward that I’ll have issues raising the top. If buckets are doable, are there some that I should look for?

Art.
I have seen a variety of bucket seats installed in early birds. 1st generation Mustangs seats, Mazda ( not sure which model. and mid-seventies Fiat Spyder. It is easily doable to install buckets. I have to have my Fiat seats reupholstered. They have detachable headrests. The top of the seat is about 2-3 inches higher than the rear deck. They have plenty of fore and aft adjustment. Some minor spacer fabrication to level seats is likely no matter which seats you choose.
good luck, john

These are procar seats in my 57 they tilt forward . I am also a retired Machinist View attachment 5417 View attachment 5418 View attachment 5417

Wow! Beautiful! Would like to finish my car and Ill just take yours?
You have the look Im hoping to achieve.....console, updated interior, A/C etc.
I was looking at those Procar seats but thought that with the full bolsters that they might not fold foward enough to allow access/operation of the convertible top.
Have you retained the soft top as well?

A while back I asked for input and recommendations as to what bucket seats might fit in a 2 seat ‘Bird. After considering the cost of having used seats reupholstered, I decided to bite the bullet. I really like the look of the “Rally” seats by ProCar and happened to catch a sale at Speedway Motors on ProCar’s standard color offerings. I chose their “beige” as it was close to what I wanted without special ordering, which would have likely doubled the price.
I did have to “massage” the transmission tunnel where the inner front corners of the seats mount.
As I have installed a T5 in place of the slush box, this hasn’t caused any clearance issues.
If anyone is considering using these bucket seats or others, I’d be glad to share what I’ve learned.
It is important that the soft top will raise and lower and clear the seats if you retain the soft top.A907901A-1FA7-4CF4-83A4-E27E511206B7.jpeg

Attachments

• BD249E20-FFC4-4ED5-BCC6-785DBDB46164.jpeg
    BD249E20-FFC4-4ED5-BCC6-785DBDB46164.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
I have seen a variety of bucket seats installed in early birds. 1st generation Mustangs seats, Mazda ( not sure which model. and mid-seventies Fiat Spyder. It is easily doable to install buckets. I have to have my Fiat seats reupholstered. They have detachable headrests. The top of the seat is about 2-3 inches higher than the rear deck. They have plenty of fore and aft adjustment. Some minor spacer fabrication to level seats is likely no matter which seats you choose.
good luck, john
Beautiful this is just what I want for my 57 Tbird what kind of seats are they???

Art.

As indicated there are a lot of seats that will work. I get some seats on ebay that were OK and bought upholstery from another guy in Portland, OR. I got the last of the 2 blues he had. That was in 2002. Measure the current seat from the top of the part you sit on to the floor; Measure the distance from the rear cowl to the floor. Use these as guides in evaluating any seats you want to consider. I have been told that some Honda seats will work. If you have power steering you can get a smaller steering wheel that will increase the clearance between the bottom of the steering wheel and the top of the seat. There is a company called SMS online that has very close matches to the original upholstery. I got samples of the 2 blues and they are very close. I am consiering replacing mine to something better and replacing the console I put in back then. time to upgrade.

Art.
I have seen several different seats replacing the original bench seat. some of the variations I know of are; Mazda, after market hot rod seats, 1st generation (1964-1966 and also 1967) Mustang seats . Later Mustang seats may work but the 68 and later seats are thicker. I have used seventies Fiat spyder seats whaich are the same as the same era Alfa Romeo seats. I liked the fiat seatsand the way they reclined and tipped forward. My wife did not like the headrests. after $500 in material and $500 in upholstering. I replaced the bench seat last May. I think I have enouf=gh material left to do a pair of early Mustang seats. I hope these are satisfactory with my wife. One issue to address is the height of the back and also the seat cushion height from the floor. good luck.

Art.
Hi;
I've been looking for replacement seats for my 1977 Bronco project and also my 56 T'Bird (when I finish the Bronco) I picked up a set of 2010 Audi A5 "CONVERTIBLE" seats with the fold forward feature. They are power, heated, power head rests and most of all, have nice flat seat tracks. The seat bottom cushions are 8" high from the floor and have a lot of for/aft travel, tilt/recline . I bought mine from https://www.tomsforeign.com/and they were, without a doubt, the best people I have dealt with in a long time, ask for Willie and tell him Don (DSS) sent you.
I don't have my 56 here but if you need seat pictures , dimensions let me know. I'll be using the Audi seats from now for my other projects. (Get the car side wiring harness plugs too, makes for a "factory looking installation"
I also understand the desire to have a nice bird and something different, Just removed the Connie kit and will be using a 55 rear bumper.

https://www.forums.fordthunderbirdf...sion-bench-buckets-seats-my-57-baby-bird.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back