Brakes! (1964)

Gary Tayman

Gary Tayman

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Okay, I just spent all my money once more on this car. I'm happy and fuming at the same time.

If anyone has been following along, my car is a slow restoration. One day I bought a set of new wire wheels, and they gave me trouble from day one. Wouldn't balance. To make a very long story much shorter, I've had shops tell me that the car needs this or that, and so I've replaced the entire steering and front end, rear axle, springs, shocks, universals, essentially the entire bottom half of the car. Then one of the wheels collapsed, and that was that. I replaced the wheels. The new ones are Coker, and are a huge improvement.

During all this time and actually before, I've complained about the brakes. Not bad in the morning, but if I drive awhile it gets to where the car doesn't want to stop. Press slightly harder and you go through the windshield. Several shops, while doing all this work, assured me the brakes are in great shape. A few small adjustments were made, but it's probably my imagination. Remember these are drums all around.

A couple weeks ago someone pulled up beside me and said, "hey, nice car but your brake lights aren't working." So I got a new brake switch. Not only did that NOT fix it, but the brake fluid looked like molasses.

Another long story shorter, I have a complete new brake system. Also lots of new wiring to the taillights, and the car now has the relay mod for the switch.

The brakes feel GREAT! You cannot tell they are drums; they feel like both of my other (modern) cars.

Not to discourage anyone who wants to convert to disks, but there is nothing wrong with original-style drums in good condition. With all the steering, springs, axle, etc., this car drives like new.

All those shops who said the brakes were fine . . .

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Good news, enjoy your Tbird

Did you end up replacing both your master cylinder & booster? If so, did you go with a split system or factory single?

Actually the master cylinder was rebuilt, but is still there. There was no leaking into the booster, so it's fine.
If there IS such a thing as a dual master that works with this car, if/when the time comes I'd be happy to put it on. I think a dual master is a better upgrade than a disk conversion. But again, original design in good condition is fine.

My '64 has front drum brakes also. Touchy but they work. Encouraging to hear that your brake job improved matters. I'd eventually like to convert to front disc brakes but for now I'm going to go through the drum brake system and get everything up to snuff. I do think retrofitting to the dual master brake system is a seriously good idea because of an incident long ago when the brakes on car I was a passenger in failed completely.

Glad everything is working! I redid the original single pot master, hydraulic brake light switch, 4 drums which did work great.

I upgraded to a dual master which like was said above is a good safety upgrade. Recently did a bolt in kit for front disc which works ok-still tweaking. Do you have any details on the change to electric switch? I would like to see what you did and maybe do the same.

Mine is an in progress 64 resto mod(came out of a junkyard with a lot Frankenstein work already made)

Back