Brake booster rebuilders, 1957

MJ_Indy

MJ_Indy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 1957 'Birds power brake booster is leaking debating rebuilding it myself vs. sending it in to a rebuilding service. I find a couple of rebuilders on other forums - Booster Dewey and what used to be Ed Strain (which has been acquired by White Post Restoration).
Curious if anyone has had experience with either of them. If you have about what was the cost to have your booster rebuilt?

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I recently called Booster Dewey about my ‘56 and was told they do not do ‘55, ‘56 or ‘57 Thunderbird boosters.
I ended up doing it myself with a kit from Harmon Classic Brakes.
Jim Yergin

My 1957 'Birds power brake booster is leaking debating rebuilding it myself vs. sending it in to a rebuilding service. I find a couple of rebuilders on other forums - Booster Dewey and what used to be Ed Strain (which has been acquired by White Post Restoration).
Curious if anyone has had experience with either of them. If you have about what was the cost to have your booster rebuilt?

Thanks!

I had Mac's rebuild mine. It was cheaper than doing it myself. And a lot less frustrating.

I had Mac's rebuild mine. It was cheaper than doing it myself. And a lot less frustrating.
I Mac's offered a rebuild, but figured they sent it somewhere to have it done. Thought dealing directly with the rebuilder might be less expensive and quicker turnaround. Seems like I read their turn around was 4 to 6 weeks. Did it take that long with yours?

I Mac's offered a rebuild, but figured they sent it somewhere to have it done. Thought dealing directly with the rebuilder might be less expensive and quicker turnaround. Seems like I read their turn around was 4 to 6 weeks. Did it take that long with yours?
It took 4 weeks. They do the rebuild in Texas. I checked prices and turnaround time. They were all about the same. I used a special that Mac's had going. I saved the shipping cost.

I recently called Booster Dewey about my ‘56 and was told they do not do ‘55, ‘56 or ‘57 Thunderbird boosters.
I ended up doing it myself with a kit from Harmon Classic Brakes.
Jim Yergin

I don't think I have looked at Harmon Classic Brakes, I'll check them out.
Thanks!

It took 4 weeks. They do the rebuild in Texas. I checked prices and turnaround time. They were all about the same. I used a special that Mac's had going. I saved the shipping cost.

Thank you.

FYI, AutoZone offers a remanufactured unit listed at $265.99 plus a $49.00 core charge.

Yes, tried that but wasn't able to order. Until you try to order the site shows available for ship to home. When I try to order the site says it's not available. Also got to reading about Cardone, the remanufactured that does Autozone, Advance and NAPA and most of the reviews were really mixed as far as quality for their vintage car product. At first I thought that would be best, for $50 I would keep the original to have as a spare.

Interesting. I guess I am glad I went with the Harmon kit and did it myself.
Jim Yergin

Most of what I can find out there for rebuilding my booster is either quite expensive or the turn around time is too long. Does anyone out there have a diagram they can post on a 57 brake booster? I am willing to try It myself but once I open It Up, I don't want parts flying out all over causing It to be a problem to get back together.

IMG_0655.JPG
Here is the diagram that came with my rebuild kit. My 1956 Ford shop manual also has a diagram and instructions on how to rebuild it. I bet the 1957 shop manual has it for your car.
I just rebuilt mine and nothing popped out when I took it apart. I did need a 1 1/2 and 1 3/8 socket.
Jim Yergin

I ended up ordering a booster from Harmon Classic, received it in a couple of days. I'll probably put in on over the holiday.

I'm not sure if the booster is working on my '57. At low speed it seems to mostly work well, at higher speeds not so much. The shop manual says with the engine off pump the brakes to remove any vacuum, Then hold the pedal while starting it should drop a little. I can feel a twitch but it doesn't move. I don't detect any vacuum leaks. The intake filter is clean. A rebuild kit is $200 and by the picture doesn't include the check valve ( I do not know how it works on this system ) nor diaphragm. Any ideas on what is the issue. Would introducing some penetrating oil do any harm if things are just sticking due to lack of use?

View attachment 2005
Here is the diagram that came with my rebuild kit. My 1956 Ford shop manual also has a diagram and instructions on how to rebuild it. I bet the 1957 shop manual has it for your car.
I just rebuilt mine and nothing popped out when I took it apart. I did need a 1 1/2 and 1 3/8 socket.
Jim Yergin
It sounds like it's not that bad of a project. $200 for the kit verses $800 for a rebuilt unit. Casco has the kit, any lessons from your project?

I'm not sure if the booster is working on my '57. At low speed it seems to mostly work well, at higher speeds not so much. The shop manual says with the engine off pump the brakes to remove any vacuum, Then hold the pedal while starting it should drop a little. I can feel a twitch but it doesn't move. I don't detect any vacuum leaks. The intake filter is clean. A rebuild kit is $200 and by the picture doesn't include the check valve ( I do not know how it works on this system ) nor diaphragm. Any ideas on what is the issue. Would introducing some penetrating oil do any harm if things are just sticking due to lack of use?

Oil in brake systems will make the rubber seals swell so I would not put penetrating oil in it. I rebuilt mine and it's better but nothing to brag about. Here's a link to a video I made of the rebuilding process.

Oil in brake systems will make the rubber seals swell so I would not put penetrating oil in it. I rebuilt mine and it's better but nothing to brag about. Here's a link to a video I made of the rebuilding process.

Thanks. That was one of the tests I wanted to make to see if it was a hardened seal. It's even possible the diaphragm is leaking and I'll order a new one with the kit. I plan on rebuilding the booster any way. I'll watch the video or at least book mark it for when I get the kit.

Back