Best place for original 6V battery replacement 1955

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
where is the best place to get an original style power punch 6v battery replacement, mine is no longer holding a charge. 1955 thunderbird. This will be my 3rd one, they don't seem to last long.

where is the best place to get an original style power punch 6v battery replacement, mine is no longer holding a charge. 1955 thunderbird. This will be my 3rd one, they don't seem to last long.
Hi, I’d call CASCO Restoration in Ohio and ask for the restoration dept. they will be very helpful.
Or try NPD ,National Parts Depot. Have you looked into a 12 volt changeover?

If your not showing cocours, you might consider an optima 6 volt battery. Sold by Summit Racing (check their website or google optima 6 volt automotive battery) If concours, Hill's Thunderbird Center sells Original script batteries. Page 73 in their catalog.

The 1955 Thunderbird uses a BCI battery 2HN. This battery is available from several suppliers and if you want to get long life out of your battery, use a battery tender. A good one is about $50 + - and it will extend the life of your battery by months if not years. The Ford Power Punch batteries sold by most restoration suppliers are not a wet cell battery, but a sealed motorcycle type battery encased in the car sized Power Punch battey case. If you are concerned with "Concours Correct" then the best thing to do is to buy one of these batteries, use a battery tehder and use it only when showing your car. A regular lead acid battery will give you much better service and more cranking amps than the Power Punch battery.

Afternoon.

Some of you probably read my thread yesterday, my battery caught fire on my Sunday drive. That battery was a Group 1 6V, wrong size I know, dealer installed. I’ve never had an issue replacing a battery, just on edge about this.

I’m having difficulty finding a Group 2N 6V, tried a couple T-Bird shops with no luck, and some local shops. I don’t want to spend almost $500 for a concourse one.

Would this group 2 Duracell be close enough in size (Length 10.375” Width 6.875” Height 8.75”)? Or would I have to purchase a larger tray? This battery I can find locally today. Or is the Optima Red 6V a better option? The width on the Optima is quite smaller.

Thank you!

D03223A3-D01F-4482-A3E9-B4479EA9765A.jpeg

Last edited:
I just purchased a 1955 Ford Thunderbird and need help finding the correct 6 volt engine battery. I have tried most all battery manufactures and the dimensions are too large. I believe the correct dimensions are close to
5 1/2" wide x 10" long x 8 3/4" high. Any help will most appreciated.

ttb

I just purchased a 1955 Ford Thunderbird and need help finding the correct 6 volt engine battery. I have tried most all battery manufactures and the dimensions are too large. I believe the correct dimensions are close to
5 1/2" wide x 10" long x 8 3/4" high. Any help will most appreciated.

ttb
Why don’t you purchase a 6 volt Optima battery and put it in this battery cloaking devise that is for sale on eBay-

cloaking.jpg

My friend did this in his 1955 Thunderbird and the battery looks period correct and you would never know that it is an Optima battery.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

optima.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks....right size but like you said very pricy.
Why don’t you purchase a 6 volt Optima battery and put it in this battery cloaking devise that is for sale on eBay-

View attachment 29796

My friend did this in his 1955 Thunderbird and the battery looks period correct and you would never know that it is an Optima battery.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 29797
Thanks so much, but when I checked the battery shell is too wide for a 1955 T-Bird. What a great idea, however.

View attachment 29796

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 29797

Back